Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AKD/Ethercat in torque mode with external torque transducer

I have a requirement for application of accurate torque (with a velocity limit), velocity (with a torque limit), and position in sequenced steps for a motion simulator and test rig. Equipment list is an AKD drive and AKM servomotor with an external torque transducer and encoder to give precise feedback to the drive. Control is by a cRIO box over Ethercat, LV2014 and Softmotion.

Having never used the AKD drives or ethercat before I am finding detailed information on this setup quite scarce and would appreciate a sanity check or any advice.

I am not sure with the Softmotion and Ethercat control exactly where the control loops are closed - I assume they will be closed on the drive and the cRIO will simply send set points and limits to the drive over ethercat, and read back torque, velocity, etc. over ethercat for logging etc. Is this how Softmotion works, or will that require lower level ethercat functions (and do such things exist)?

I am equally unsure how entering an external torque controller into the loop will affect things (I think that normally in 'torque' mode the drive is really controlling the internal current which is only an approximation of the actual torque, and hence the use of an external torque transducer so we can get specific actual torques applied). The subbie building the rig will set up and program the drive as required, but I'm not sure if the 'unusual' setup with external transducers will upset the way Softmotion routines will work.

On the surface, the Softmotion and AKD combination seems to promise 'plug-n-play heaven' - could this be as simple as I would like it to be, or are there pitfalls ahead I should be wary of?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,154 Views)

Hi Stuart,

You've mentioned that you're using a Compact RIO, please can you tell me which model and what modules you're using?

This getting started guide may be of some help to you; it details the basics of using Softmotion in conjuction with AKD EtherCAT drives.

Regards,

Jake A

Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK and Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,039 Views)

Hi Jake,

thanks for the reply. I'm using a cRIO 9035 rack and a variety of analog, digital, strain and temperature modules. I have seen the getting started guide which is good but covers a basic setup only.

The main problem I'm trying to solve is using the drive with an external torque transducer. The drive can be configured with external encoders transparently, but there is no facility in either the drive setup or the Softmotion software for closing the torque loop using an external torque transducer rather than motor current.

However I did find this article in the community and received the following reply when I queried -  Control an EtherCAT AKD Drive in Torque Mode

This has pointed me in the right direction I think (still waiting for some hardware to arrive so not tried it yet). This will leave the speed and position loops closed on the drive but move the torque control over to the RIO box.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,034 Views)

It sounds to me like that should answer your question, if it turns out that this solution doesn't work for your setup let me know by responding to this thread and I'll look into it further.

Jake A

Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK and Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,018 Views)

I want to make sure that I share the latest revision of the Getting Started with AKD EtherCAT® Drives and the LabVIEW NI SoftMotion Module document.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,385 Views)

I know this is a relatively old thread, but I am trying to do the exact same thing:

• Use an external torque transducer as a feedback.
  • Connect the torque signal to the motor drive.
  • Send torque commands over EtherCAT to the motor drive.

Could you find a solution for your application?

I am looking forward for a reply.

Best regards

Lysandros

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,262 Views)

Hi Lysandros,

Sorry to dissappoint you, but sadly my project was suddenly axed before the drives arrived, so I never got round to try this out. (Bloody project managers Smiley Frustrated)

Hope you have better luck Smiley Happy

Stuart.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,259 Views)