Measurement Studio for VC++

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When installing Measurement Studio 8.1 for VS2005 TARGETDIR is undefined

Hi Scott,

Hmmm.... Well that's wierd as on my Vista machine I am able to create files, folders, etc in that directory.  Did your IT department assign you to any group policies or some security group that prohibits that type of access? You might want to chat with your IT group to see what you don't have access.

With all that said, you can force the location to be defined by trying this command line:

setup.exe /prop NICSIDLCOMMONDOCUMENTS="C:\Users\Public\Documents"

Best Regards,
Jonathan N.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(6,503 Views)
I was able to install Measurement Studio, but the drivers install stalled at 40 of 109 and it had taken 1 hr to get to that point.

Scott Schindler
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(6,501 Views)
Hi Scott,

Installing drivers can take some time, especially if you are install DAQ, GPIB, VISA, etc and all the language support. Did the installation ever complete? What types of components where you selecting?

Best Regards,
Jonathan N.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(6,497 Views)
I installed the default drivers.  I only have Measurement Studio installed and no it did not ever finish.  I canceled it because I needed to use Visual Studio.    I will retry the drivers when I have a need for them.  I should have skipped them because I just needed the graphing support for VS2005.

Scott Schindler
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 20
(6,493 Views)
Hi Scott,

I find it odd that our driver installer never finished. When you get around time to attempt to install the drivers again, if you see the freeze, you could create a log file just like we did for the Measurement Studio installer.

I'm almost inclined to think based off our recent experience that it might have something to do with Windows Vista.  I recently installed the drivers on my Vista machine and didn't have any problems. Then again, I have all read/write admin access.

Best Regards,
Jonathan N.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(6,487 Views)
I had this error when I was installing NI488.2, and creating a new Public/Documents directory (which I had previously deleted), fixed the problem

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(6,049 Views)
Whoever is interested in the solution to the above problem, In vista, NI needs to download to Users\public\Documents by default....... So if you were screwing around with Documents folder for example and deleted it by mistake, it cannot find the target directory....self explanatory.....
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(5,421 Views)

Hi. sstrenn

Thank you. I can solve the problem with your word.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(3,656 Views)

I am having this same issue (TARGETDIR is undefined) on Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. I ran as administrator and I Windows 7 is a fresh install so no deleting of public documents. Is this some other Windows security issue?

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 20
(3,452 Views)

The error maybe due to a windows file hierarchy change from Windows XP to Windows Vista to Windows 7. I know the basic user directory changed and is in a different location in Windows 7. In Windows 7 users are directly off of the root, C:\\Users\, instead of through Documents and Settings folder like in Windows XP.

Measurement Studio 8.1 is not supported on Windows 7 mainly because Windows 7 came out after Measurement Studio 8.1.

~ConnorM

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 20
(3,443 Views)