Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between nivisa4.lib and visa64.lib

Solved!
Go to solution

In 

C:\Program Files\IVI Foundation\VISA\Win64\Lib_x64\msc

There are 3 lib files: nivisa64.lib,  visa64.lib, visa32.lib

And in C:\Windows\System32 are the 3 corresponding .dll files located.

I understand that I have to link against visa64/visa32 depending on if it is a 64bit or a 32bit machine.

But what is nivisa64.dll and nivisa64.lib good for? Do I need it for communication with my device? What is the difference between visa and nivisa?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(7,265 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author totallyConfused

Hi,

Currently there are 4 import libraries.

3 are provided by NI-VISA visa32.lib (one in a bc folder and the other in msc) and nivisa64.lib. The other lib visa64.lib is provided by VISA Shared Components.

So the difference between the nivisa64.lib and the visa64.lib is the originator of the file.

nivisa64.lib is from National Instruments and the visa64.lib is provided by VISA Shared Components.

I hope this helps to clear up the confusion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Work with NI Hard- and Software for about 15 years now.

Certified LabVIEW Developer & TestStand Developer/Architect

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Message 2 of 4
(7,246 Views)

And what is the difference between nivisa64 and visa64 beside the name? That one is written is VISA and the other one is VISA Shared Components does not help me. I don't even know the difference between both.

If I am writing a program that should use VISA, do I have to use nivisa64.lib? And if yes, towards which dll is it pointing?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(7,239 Views)

Hi,

it is not the point what it is written in.

The nivisa64.lib is written by National Instruments, the visa64.lib is not written National Instruments.

The visa64.lib was written by the VISA Group and you can see it as an basic set.

You should use the newer nivisa64.lib that should already be in your LabVIEW palette after installing the NI-VISA drivers.

Work with NI Hard- and Software for about 15 years now.

Certified LabVIEW Developer & TestStand Developer/Architect

There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(7,237 Views)