From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measurement Studio for VC++

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VS 6 SP 3 needed for MS 1.0

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to re-create a toolset for an old project that we need to update.

I have Visual Studio 6.0 SP6 installed, yet when I install Measurement Studio 1.0, it does a popup saying it needs VS 6.0 SP3.

Does MS 1.0 truly require VS6.0 SP3, or is it just not recognizing that VS 6.0 SP6 is a later release of VS?

Thanks for any insight into this.

Menchar

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,988 Views)

I am using a WinXp system, maye that's the problem?

Interestingly enough, I can install ComponentWorks (VB activeX support) without the same error being generated.

Menchar

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,978 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author menchar

This is caused by a mistake we made in the Measurement Studio 1.0 installer. The product itself requires SP3 or later, but the installer keys off of a registry value that is created only by the SP3 installer (and not by later SP installers).

You can add a registry value to trick the installer into thinking sp3 is installed on the machine.

Create a string value named "sp3" (no quotes) under the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\6.0\ServicePacks.

Here's a link to an old thread on this topic:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=231&message.id=1347&requireLogin=False

We now generally follow a policy of "Warm but allow" instead of "Inform and prevent" to avoid issues like this.

David Rohacek

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,956 Views)

Thanks - I didn't find that old thread before.

I added the sp3 stringf value and now the MS 1.0 installs all OK on my VS SP6 system.

The thread mentions using eval version of Visual Sutdio 6.0, but isn't this dangerous?  Doesn't the MS 6.0 eval version quit working at some point or become disabled somehow?  We're seeing differences in the executable behavior between the app built with eval version of MS 6.0 compared to the original built with MS 1.0 - but we haven't positively correlated this with the MS version.

Thanks,

Menchar

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,952 Views)

Now I see that when I installled Measurement Studio 1.0, it only offered to install examples and help?  At least that's the only optional items maybe.

When I run M&AE 4.2, it does not show Measurement Studio 1.0 as having been installed.

And the start menu doesn't show Measurement Studio other than readme, help, and utility programs.

Add and remove programs show ComponentWorks++ as installed, but show no Size or usage information.

I'm not sure MS 1.0 has been successfully installed, despite being able to get past the SP3 requirement popup.

Thanks for any help on this.

Menchar

Message Edited by menchar on 04-14-2009 11:27 AM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,948 Views)

Hi Menchar,

Another thing to check is that the "latest" registry key in the same folder has a value of 3 rather than 6.  Let me know if this helps!

Message Edited by Al B on 04-15-2009 06:04 PM
Al B.
Staff Software Engineer - TestStand
CTA/CLD
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,922 Views)