From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measurement Studio for VC++

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB ActiveX

Hi,
I need to communicate through the USB port.
Is there a solution available from NI?
Any other suggestions?

Thanx
Ohad
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,095 Views)
Unfortunately, no. A common misconception is that USB, although often used as a replacement for serial, is a general communcations bus like GPIB or Serial. Actually, it is a device bus like PCI and therefore required driver level communication (Windows DDK, etc.). NI does not make driver development tools for any bus and our compilers (LabVIEW and CVI) are not designed to build drivers (VXD or SYS files). USB devices, just like PCI or ISA plug-in boards, require specific device drivers for that device. If you want to use the USB bus with an instrument you are building or as a general communications bus, you will have to build your own driver for that USB device.

Best Regards,

Chris Matthews
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,094 Views)
Hi,

I understand that If I'm using a device that belongs to one of the HID classes then no driver is required.
What I need then, is only an ActiveX that sends and recives data from the port and prompts on events.

Thank you

Ohad
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,094 Views)