Measurement Studio for VC++

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newb Question: Member functions not listed in autocomplete

Gurus,

I have noticed that sometimes I can call functions that are not
listed in the MFC Class member function autocomplete dropdown box.

For example:

The CArray class seems to have the SetSize(int x); function despite
it *not* being listed in the drop down box that appears when I begin to type
the class name. MyArray.*whatever*. Is this normal? Is there a way that I
can set the IDE to display all functions availiable to me? InsertAt, and
RemoveAt are similar examples I think.

--Chris
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,884 Views)
Yes, it's a pretty typical problem. Microsoft's Intellisense help is not perfect and it sometimes does not pick up all of the callable functions for objects that are declared. I've seen this happen and intellisense come and go at various times in developing. Usually, if you type the actual class name and the :: operator it will give you an accurate list. It seems to fail on specific objects sometimes probably due to problems resolving the symbol. In other words, when MyArray. doesn't work, try CArray:: and look at the list.

Intellisense robustness seems to have improved in Visual Studio.NET from VC++ 6.0.

Best Regards,

Chris Matthews
National Instruments
Message 2 of 4
(2,884 Views)
Sometimes it helps to close Visual Studio, delete the .ncb file (which is the Intellisense database file) in the project directory, restart Visual Studio, and reopen the project. When the project is re-opened, the .ncb file will be rebuilt, sometimes fixing Intellisense problems.

- Elton
Message 3 of 4
(2,884 Views)
Some things that may be of interest--you can search MSDN for documentation on known issues and limitations with intellisence. Also, Microsoft has greatly improved intellisence and the class view in Visual Studio 7.0, if you are interested in upgrading.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,884 Views)