Measurement Studio for VC++

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAX can not find WINNT\system32\cvirte directory

When I bring up MAX I get an error saying that it can't find the RTE directory C:\WINNT\system32\cvirte\

When I 'OK' this I get a LabWindows CVI error saying;
"Unable to open C:\Program Files\National Instruments\max\bin\cvirte.rsc"

But I didn't install LabWindows! I installed Visual C++ and NI-DAQ. What gives?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,279 Views)
A lot of our software uses the CVI Run-time engine for various tasks. MAX is expecting this run-time engine on your system for something that was installed. The easiest way to solve this is just to install the CVI RTE. It is free, just like the VC++ runtime and freely distributable. You can download it here.

Best Regards,

Chris Matthews
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,279 Views)
Thanks, Chris.

I may just do as you suggest. The problem is that I have another system, identical to the one having the problem, which has the same software loaded on it. This other system doesn't have the problem.

The MAX utility works well for us in general, but it is prone to serious errors (improper memory accessing and other major faults) and rather than patching it, we need to know what is wrong.

I don't understand why it is looking for a LabWindows component in the first place since we never installed any LabWindows software.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,279 Views)
I wish I could tell you why you are seeing the message but I'm not sure. NI-DAQ and MAX should not be dependent on the CVI run-time engine by themselves. You didn't say anything else that was installed so that doesn't explain the dependency. I couldn't guess any other reason without more info or a clean machine test that reproduces the problem. I'm sorry you have had trouble with the MAX utility. Hopefully you have reported any crashes you have seen that are reproducible so we can correct the problem. If you see future issues that you need to report, please contact our support engineers at http://www.ni.com/ask so we can continue to eliminate these issues.

Chris
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,279 Views)
Generally the MAX utility works just fine for the limited use we put it to. The crashes almost always happen on closing the utility and this cvirte issue is merely an annoyance as it doesn't seem to affect performance in any way.

Thanks for your comments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,279 Views)