Measurement Studio for VC++

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I access the parallfel port with VISA in VC++? Examples?

I have found numerous pages indicating that it's possible to access the parallel port with VISA in VC++ but I'm having trouble finding function calls to support this. Are there any available examples?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,116 Views)
Parallel is done in the same way as serial. The only thing that changes is the resource name. ASRL10 is LPT1. We don't ship separate examples since it is the same as serial with this small change. See the Knowledgebase for more info: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/3efedde4322fef19862567740067f3cc/81265fe73475f18b852563b60079d249?OpenDocument.

Best Regards,

Chris Matthews
National Instruments
Message 2 of 4
(3,116 Views)
I have the examples but I'm not sure how to configure the parallel port to different modes like ECP/EPP. What attributes are used? All I see in the NI-VISA help are the attributes for serial ports such as VI_ATTR_ASRL_PARITY. I assume the viWrite and viRead calls are used in place of 'inp' and 'out' for placing data bytes on the port lines and reading back.
--
Pat Youngers
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,116 Views)
You can't configure that through VISA. Actually, I think the only place you can configure ECP/EPP mode is in the installation of the port. Some computers allow you to configure that in the BIOS. Others are dependent on the type of parallel port you install in your hardware profile. Either way, I don't think you can set that for a specific session. And yes, viWrite and viRead are used to read and write to the port.

Chris
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,116 Views)