Measurement Studio for VC++

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hibernation causes a crash with a NI PCI-6220

Hello out there,

I have to find a problem caused by an application whitch has access to a NI-PCI 6220.

Sometime the PC hosting this application runs into hibernation-mode, the whole system freeze down and has to be restarted. This problem accurs only with Windows 7, and it uses Qt as framework.

Is there anybody how faces the same problem or has a solution for this? What has to be considered?

Thank you

Regards Christian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,810 Views)

Hi Christian,

Do you have some more info on how you're interfacing with the PCI card? Things that would be useful would be -

1 - what driver are you using?

2 - what environment and language are you looking to interface with the card? eg. C++, C#, VB etc

This will help me understand your setup and how we can get around the freezing. Please excuse the obvious suggestion, but is it possible to turn of hibernate?

Thanks

James

James P
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,792 Views)

Hi James,

1. Im using the driver version 2.7.0f0 of 23/03/2011. That is not the latest version but it is the version

2. Im using C++(with qt) on Visual Studio 2010 and Windows7. For accessing the card Im using the NI-DAQmx-API.

I have been thinking about the possibility of just turn of hibernate, but so far I would like try to fix this problem.

Thank you Christian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,777 Views)

Hi Christian,

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you. I've been having a look into this for you.

What exactly is it that freezes? When your PC goes to sleep, it will turn off the PCI card and put it in sleep mode, so it's not going to keep running the application while in hibernate.

When it wakes up from hibernate, your PC has to reload all the programs etc that were previously running. This can start the program running without waking up the card, so it could hang because it can't see the card to send/recieve data to/from. I believe that will be what's happening here.

I'd expect to see an error if you can't communicate with the card, do you recieve any error messages?

The recommendation is to prevent the PC from hibernating whilst the program is running as it will naturally cause issues on wake up as it won't be able to access the card straight away.

Thanks

James

James P
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,662 Views)