From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measurement Studio for VC++

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graph Annotations - Major Bug !!!!!

I am using annotations on a NiGraph control(2D, single plot chart). I update the X and Y coordinates of specific annotations using m_Graph.Annotations.Item(item).Caption.SetCoordinates(... , ...)
this is done around 3 times per second. Each call to SetCordinates(...,...) causes a memory leak!!! Over a period of time my application uses up all system memory. I have validated this bug by running the National Instruments Annotations example and pressing the 'Generate Waveform' button whilst monitoring the memory usage using NT's Task Manager. Your example also leaks memory each time the annotations are repositioned !!!. Each time my graph is scaled X or Y (I use a slide control for this purpose) I reposition all annotations so they
fit nicely in the view port of the graph. This operation generates many calls to the m_Graph.Annotations.Item(item).Caption....etc) and subsequently leaks memory at a vast rate. Graph annotation are the cornerstone of my application and I am very concearned that due to this bug my application is unusable.

I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Shaun
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,986 Views)
We have verified and are aware of this memory leak. However these issues should be reported to National Instruments Technical Support instead of a forum shared by engineers all over the world. Please send an email to support@ni.com (or go to ni.com/ask) to report issues of this nature.
This will also open up communication for our Technical Engineers to ask you relevant questions and code snippets.

Best Regards,
Azucena
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,986 Views)
I must disagree with your answer. I feel that the discussion forum the ideal place to warn engineers around the world of the problems with your software. This posting could save developers such as myself from developing a, at present, useless (and expensive) application. I did indeed request support and reported this bug to National Instruments (UK). Unfortunately they had no knowledge of it and could not help me any further but thanked me for pointing it out and advised me to “Watch the website for future Measurement Studio Updates”. As the Product Support Engineer for Measurement Studio and LabWindows/CVI I feel you answer was far from helpful, only pointing out this bug has been verified. Information such as possible work arounds, new
version release dates or patches would have been useful. Perhaps even helpfully passing my details to one of your Technical Engineers so we might arrive at a solution. I would have rated the answer 0.5 stars but there was no icon to click.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,986 Views)
I believe you misunderstood Azucena's response. Issues reported via support@ni.com can be escalated to R&D for evaluation for inclusion in a patch. Through that channel, R&D can become involved also in helping you find a workaround. There is no guarantee that these things will happen when you post to this forum.

Check out support.ni.com for a way to search our Knowledge Base, where we publish information about bugs of this nature.

David Rohacek
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,986 Views)