Measurement Studio for VC++

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distributing MS6.0 Program Source Code

I'm running into problems creating MS6.0 applications on one computer and then copying the source over to another computer, making changes, recompiling it and then trying to get it to run.

I have two almost identical test platforms. The software is as close as I can make it. I have a seperate copy of MS6.0 on installed on each machine and the only difference I can find under MAX as far as software installation goes is that I have NI-PAL version 1.5.0f0 and the other is 1.4.5f0. I don't know what NI-PAL is and I don't know why the would have different versions with the copy of MS6.0 purchased last has the lower version.

Anyway, what happens is that code taken from Test Station 1 and copied into Test Station 2 causes MAX t
o dump all my DAQ stuff just like it did when I was trying to collect data using the evaluation versions of Component works. All my CW stuff on both platforms is version 6.0.589 except for Data Socket Controls which is version 4,0,3,367.

I've registered both software versions through the mail and one of them over the internet. Am I supposed to have a registration number to validate my copy some place? I really think this is why I'm losing my DAQ devices from MAX because I can remove all my DAQ devices from Device Manager and shut everything down and when win2000 finds the devices again so does MAX until I try and run code brought over from the other platform.

I've spent about 3 days straight on this and have more information then I know what to do with. Nothing seems to permanantly solve the issue however. The plan is to develope on one platform and distribute to the other and then make minor modifications. Is this not allowed under NI's license?

Grant
Grant M. Johnson
Project Engineer
LECO Corporation
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,555 Views)
Hi Grant,

Sorry you've been having so much trouble. I'm not sure what is causing this problem. You should be able to take the VC++ project from one machine to another and compile and run it there. I would make sure you do a recompile ALL when you first transfer it over and actually, I wouldn't transfer any of the debug files and objects so they have to be rebuilt on the new machine. See our examples for which files to include in copying to another machine.

NI-PAL is a driver installed by many National Instruments products. I don't think that version change is what is causing this problem.

As for the licensing question, you are supposed to have a MStudio license for any machine that you you are using for development/maintenance with MStu
dio. You can distribute the DLL's and EXE's that you build with Measurement Studio freely to as many machines as you want.

Best Regards,

Chris Matthews
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,555 Views)
I can't find examples showing me what files to include when copying to another machine. I looked at everything under "Measurement Studio Tutorials and Examples" on your site and I checked all the example names that came with the CD.

I have two seperate copies of MS6.0. One license for each machine. Do I need to register them somehow or is that taken care of during install when I enter the password?

Grant
Grant M. Johnson
Project Engineer
LECO Corporation
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,555 Views)
I just meant look at our shipping examples and see which files we distributed. We don't distrubute the debug files or some of the other files that can be regenerated for the project. Just pick any of our examples under VC\Examples and look at the files. We distribute the source code files, header files, project file, workspace file, and the resource files. We also distribute a release executable, but you wouldn't need that.

No, you don't need to register the two copies. That's taken care of with the serial numbers.

Chris
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,555 Views)
Are ActiveX controls like CWDIOPoint special at all? I mean should I re-create them on the new machine or copy all the cwport.h, cwports.h, cwline.h, etc. from station 1 to station 2?

Grant
Grant M. Johnson
Project Engineer
LECO Corporation
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,555 Views)
Also, I can't find any examples that use ActiveX controls I don't know which of those files to distribute.

Grant
Grant M. Johnson
Project Engineer
LECO Corporation
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,555 Views)
It should work fine to copy the ActiveX wrapper code to another machine. I have done this for project and it has worked. Remember to rebuild all on the new machine though.

Chris
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,555 Views)