From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measurement Studio for VC++

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Freezes when running program

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I have a 5 year old computer which has been running a Measurement Studio 6.0 based Visual C++ program using PCI 6071E DAQ. I didn't modify this program but tried to install Labview 8.6 so that I can run some Labview based programs I wrote recently. In the process, I had uninstalled Measurement studio accidentally but then reinstalled it back along with the DAQ driver. This 5 year old Visual C++ program written by another person, now causes the computer to freeze at random times once it starts running. I have tried everything from checking for spyware, lack of RAM etc but haven't been able to fix it.  Could someone help me out? I've been facing this for over 15 days now.....

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,354 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yashwant

The old C++ program was using NITimer(Measurement studio provides it?) to make a function call every 25 millisec which will check DAQ voltage values and update the screen. Changing the timer event to be generated every 75 millisecs resulted in CPU usage drop from 100% to 60%. The crashes are no longer occurring. How this erroneous code used to work without crashes earlier remains a mystery to me. If someone knows about settings in MAX or somewhere that makes a program run at real time priority and hence causes such programs to run without crashing, do let me know.

Thanks all,

Yashwant

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(6,205 Views)