From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measurement Studio for VB6

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simultaneous Digital Write and Read w. Interval Measurement

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

For the past couple days, I've been wracking my brain trying to get a program to work.

I'm trying to generate a 4-bit digital output while simulatanously counting the rising edges on its LSB up to an arbitary number set by the program's operator, at which point, the program would make a measurement.

I'm noticing, though, that, over a certain rising edge count number (~950 or so), the program crashes. The problem persists even when I remove the function that reads the LSB, although, in that case, the crashes occur at a much higher number. What might cause this? Is there any way I can work around this problem?

Below is my code:

arraySizeInBytes2 = 8
bufferSize = 255

ReDim readArray(arraySizeInBytes2)

publicLifetime = 100 ' use this to control the length of time the task takes
numSamplesToWrite = 10 * publicLifetime * numSample * 5
numSamplesInArray = 5 * 10 * numSample

'code that defines the digital and analog output signals

j = 0
  k = -1
    Do While j < numSamplesInArray
        If j Mod SampPerCycle = 0 Then k = k + 1 Else k = k  
        For m = 0 To 3
        If ((k) And (2 ^ m)) = (2 ^ m) Then writeArray(m, j) = 1 Else: writeArray(m, j) = 0 
        Next m
        j = j + 1
        Loop

publicStatus = DAQmxCreateTask("", taskHandleDigitalOut)
    publicStatus = DAQmxCreateTask("", taskHandleAnalog)
    publicStatus = DAQmxCreateTask("", taskHandleDigitalIn)
    taskIsRunning = True

publicStatus = DAQmxCreateDOChan(taskHandleDigitalOut, "Dev2/port0/line0:3", "", DAQmx_Val_ChanForAllLines)
     publicStatus = DAQmxCfgSampClkTiming(taskHandleDigitalOut, "Ctr0InternalOutput", 1000000#, DAQmx_Val_Falling, DAQmx_Val_AcquisitionType_FiniteSamps, numSamplesToWrite)
     publicStatus = DAQmxCreateAOVoltageChan(taskHandleAnalog, "dev2/ao0", "", -10, 10, DAQmx_Val_VoltageUnits2_Volts, "")
     publicStatus = DAQmxCfgSampClkTiming(taskHandleAnalog, "Ctr0InternalOutput", 1000000#, DAQmx_Val_Falling, DAQmx_Val_AcquisitionType_FiniteSamps, numSamplesToWrite)
     publicStatus = DAQmxCreateDIChan(taskHandleDigitalIn, "dev2/port0/line7", "", DAQmx_Val_ChanPerLine)
     publicStatus = DAQmxCfgChangeDetectionTiming(taskHandleDigitalIn, "dev2/port0/line7", "", DAQmx_Val_AcquisitionType_ContSamps, 8)
     publicStatus = DAQmxWriteBinaryI16(taskHandleAnalog, DACwaveFormSize, False, -1, DAQmx_Val_GroupByScanNumber, buffer(0), sampsPerChanWritten, ByVal 0&)
     publicStatus = DAQmxWriteDigitalLines(taskHandleDigitalOut, numSamplesInArray, False, -1, DAQmx_Val_GroupByScanNumber, writeArray(0, 0), sampsPerChanWritten, ByVal 0&)

publicStatus = DAQmxStartTask(taskHandleDigitalIn)
     publicStatus = DAQmxStartTask(taskHandleAnalog)
     publicStatus = DAQmxStartTask(taskHandleDigitalOut)
     publicStatus = DAQmxStartTask(publicCounterHandle)

r = 0
Do While r < (publicLifetime * numSample)
publicStatus = DAQmxReadDigitalLines(taskHandle, 1, 5, DAQmx_Val_GroupByScanNumber, readArray(0), arraySizeInBytes2, SampsPerChanRead, numBytesPerSamp, ByVal 0&)
If publicStatus = 0 Then r = r + 1
If r Mod publicMeasurementInterval= 0 Then 'Measurement Code here
Loop

publicStatus = DAQmxStopTask(taskHandleDigitalIn)

publicStatus = DAQmxWaitUntilTaskDone(taskHandleDigitalOut, -1)
 publicStatus = DAQmxClearTask(taskHandleDigitalOut)
 publicStatus = DAQmxStopTask(taskHandleAnalog)
 publicStatus = DAQmxClearTask(taskHandleAnalog)
 publicStatus = DAQmxStopTask(publicCounterHandle)
 publicStatus = DAQmxStopTask(taskHandleDigitalIn)
 publicStatus = DAQmxClearTask(taskHandleDigitalIn)   
 taskIsRunning = False

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(8,383 Views)

FWIW, I'm using an PCI-6259 connected to an SCB-68.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(8,364 Views)

Do you receive any type of error message or code when this occurs?

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(8,358 Views)

Just an overflow error.

For what it's worth, I've been able to get the maximum number of cycles up to 2047 by changing the line

publicStatus = DAQmxCfgChangeDetectionTiming(taskHandleDigitalIn, "dev2/port0/line7", "", DAQmx_Val_AcquisitionType_ContSamps, 8)

to

publicStatus = DAQmxCfgChangeDetectionTiming(taskHandleDigitalIn, "dev2/port0/line7", "", DAQmx_Val_AcquisitionType_FiniteSamps, publicLifetime * numSample)

What do you think that might mean?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(8,346 Views)

Specifically what error are you getting, and does it give you a code?

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 5 of 9
(8,336 Views)

You may need to read more samples from your device. It sounds like you could possibly have a buffer overflow.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 6 of 9
(8,333 Views)

I get the 6 error. I'm currently trying to expand the read array size. I'll let you know how that goes.

Thank you for your help, by the way.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(8,325 Views)

Still having difficulty. I tried increasing the buffer size (which I'm presuming is for the DAQmxReadDigitalLines command) but to no avail. For what it's worth, I used the error line feature of VB and found that the program crashes on the line

"If publicStatus = 0 Then r = r + 1" 

I can get the program to write however many samples I want. The problem is entirely within that read loop.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(8,316 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Armando83

You were right: it was a buffer overflow. I was using integer numbers when I should have been using doubles.

Thank you for your help.

Message 9 of 9
(8,305 Views)