Measurement Studio for VB6

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multithreading in Visual Basic data acquition and display program.

I've been doing high-resolution data acquition software with ComponentWorks. I'd like to route data acquisition and file-storing to one processor and on-line analysis and display to the other. I noticed that Windows and Visual Basic cannot divide that automatically even though data acquition is an asyncronous process and thus work on background. All my software run on a single processor, which I doublechecked in TaskManager. However, I know that it's possible to separate program into several threads. Now, I'd like to know whether anyone has been handling with this thing and how on earth the program is good separate?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,350 Views)
Visual Basic is currently not a multithreaded environment. This means that you cannot create and debug multithreaded programs in Visual Basic. You would have to use Visual C++ (which would be much more difficult to program in) or CVI to do this. Also, even if you do divide your programs into separate threads, you can't select choose which threads to run on which processors on a multiprocessor machine under Windows. The Windows OS decides how to divide the work over the processors and you have no control over it. However, dividing your process into multiple threads would allow Windows to divide the work over multiple processors which it definately would, but you have no control over how it divides the work.

Best Regards,

Chris Matthews
Measurement Studio Sup
port Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,350 Views)