From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measurement Studio for VB6

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you activate ComponentWorks

Hello-

I have a VB UI that uses an old version of Component Works.  I recently had to upgrade the environment that builds the software and now the UI is giving me license errors when I use the controls.

The version of Component Works is 2.0.1.

Does anyone know the activation process so that my UI can use the controls in CW on a deployed pc?  At the moment, all I have for this product is the original box it came in and some documentation.  I am still trying to track down the install media.  Of course since this is so old, it not available for download on NI's site either. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(10,382 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(10,369 Views)

The shortcuts at the top of the page do not help.  (one is a dead link and the other refers to Measurement Studio which I am not using).

Reading the help file, I see the following under Trouble Shooting:

"The application does not contain the proper runtime license. When developing your application make sure the controls are running in a fully licensed mode. When building an executable for your application most programming environments automatically include a runtime license for the controls in the executable. Certain programming environments or specific types of application may not do this automatically."

I suppose the real question here is, how do I fully license the controlls?

Since my initial post, I located the installation CD.  I read in other Measurement Studio posts that there is a NI license fixer exe.  I was able to download it however it does not recognise the product and so does not help.  The Component Works CD does not have a similar tool on it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(10,355 Views)

Hi rob.deramo,

The actual document for the broken link from the document in the previous post can be found here.  Can you give us more information about your system?

You said you recently had to upgrade the environment which builds the software, and the UI is giving you license errors.  Can you define the new environment?  The following information would be helpful:

• Operating System
  • IDE/ADE e.g. Microsoft Visual Studio 2012
  • Current version of Measurement Studio

I would also like to see a screenshot of the error message you are receiving.  When do you receive this error? Is it when you open a project? 

Thank you for the information,

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(10,339 Views)

I am having this exact issue --

We have an older dev enviroment set up on a Windows 98 machine with a licensed & working ComponentWorks 3.0, since the computer is quite old we are upgrading to a Win XP machine. We use VB6 & when adding or creating an executable on the Win XP machine the message "This program contains ComponentWorks evaluation-only controls which will stop functioning after 5 minutes of execution time..etc" My question is how do we get this license renewed/fixed so we have a working dev environment on the new machine?

1.Do we have to upgrate to a newer MS? If yes, which one?

2. Is there any work around to this? I've tried adding the activeX control files into the system folder & registering them. I've also tried using the NI License Manager -- all without success.

Any input would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(9,479 Views)

Hi desiree.t,

The following link shows Measurement Studio legacy support as well as how to attain them:

http://www.ni.com/mstudio/legacysupport/

For VB6, you would need Measurement Studio 2009. This version should support WinXP and newer. However, you will need to refer to the Microsoft documentation to determine VB6 support. 

David C
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(9,400 Views)

Thank you for your reply --

So we ordered MStudio '13 so we can gain access to the legacy versions. I tried getting in touch with technical support to help with the migration & activating CW, but I'm still waititng to hear back. We do have the support so that's not an issue anymore.

Do you know if theres anything I can do in the mean time in order to get this up and running? Does NI have to send me MS 2009 first?

Thanks again.

-Desiree

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(9,074 Views)

I believe they will send MS 2009 but you should talk to a Technical Service Representative to verify. You can also go to www.ni.com/ask for specific technical questions but official support just ended for that product. See the following link for details:

http://www.ni.com/mstudio/product-lifecycle/

I suggest exploring our database and/or posting a topic. If I come across some useful information I will send it your way. 

David C
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(9,056 Views)