From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measurement Studio for VB6

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ActiveX License Fixer

Solved!
Go to solution

I've been using Measurement Studio v6 for years.  On my current development PC since August 2004.  Today I started getting a message "You have 30 days to evaluate the Measurement Studio ActiveX controls. After this period, the controls stop functioning after 5 minutes of execute time."  etc. etc.

I searched online and found a reference to something called the "ActiveX License Fixer" utility.  I've looked for this on my CD, but don't see it.  Where can I get this utility, or how do I otherwise fix this problem?

My license card info says "Measurement Studio Standard Edition Win 2000/NT/XP/ME/9X" (P/N 778802-3).  The CD says it's Version 6.0 500536F-00.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(12,185 Views)

Hello Alan,

You can find the license fixer attached to this KB.

NickB

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(12,182 Views)
I downloaded the tool and ran it.  It shows only licensed controls (see attached).  Yet I still get the message (also attached).  What now?
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(12,162 Views)

Hi Alan,

Have you added any new controls recently that you have not used before?  If you're using any controls that are not part of the set your license includes, then this will happen.  

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(12,133 Views)
Solution
Accepted by AlanSilverman

I figured it out.  A few weeks back I turned over the source code for this project to a co-worker for some cleanup.  His workstation had only the run-time Measurement Studio controls, not the development versions.  When he opened some of the project files on his workstation, they apparently sniffed out and bound to the run-time controls, thus branding them as 'evaluation', even though he didn't edit any of the code bound to the Measurement Studio controls.  When I took this source code back to my workstation, it was still bound to these run-time controls.  Even when I hid the run-time controls on my end, I was still getting the 'evaluation' message.  Solution was to open each affected file (forms and class libraries), change *anything* in the file (like moving a control one pixel and then moving it back), then saving the file.  This forced a re-bind to the correct licensed control on my local workstation.  I did not have to delete and re-add the Measurement Studio controls in the source code, re-install the project, or anything messy.

Well.  I won't forget this one!  Fix is easy now that I know it.  I hope the above explanation will benefit someone else some day.

Note that I am actually using these controls with Microsoft Visual FoxPro (was using VFP 7, now using VFP 9).  They work in VFP similarly to VB, which is why I posted in this forum.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(12,120 Views)

That's cool, I just met this sort of issue, thanks to your post, I know how to solve it.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(9,706 Views)