Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new install of Measurement Studio in VS 2013, can't see the instrument control option in new projects

I used to be a user of the old M. Studio under VB6. I am now trying to use MS with Visual Basic (Visual Studio 2013). I am mostky interested in instrument control options. After I install MS, when I go to create a new project, I don't see the VISA option like the example in http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/373225a.pdf#page=53

In the PC, I have already the ackages VISA and NI488 installed, I can talk to instruments through other NI software, etc. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

MS.png 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,135 Views)

SOrry, I forgot to add that I  installed the evaluation version of MS 2015.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,134 Views)

Hi Zuru,

The Instrument I/O Assistant is no longer supported in Visual Studio 2012 and later. This component is required for the NI VISA Windows Application, so in order to use this project template, you will need to use Visual Studio 2010 or earlier and install support for that version of Visual Studio (if I remember correctly, it's .NET 4.0).

You are still able to use the NI VISA driver in later versions of Visual Studio by manually adding the NationalInstruments.Visa (or NationalInstruments.VisaNS for NI-VISA versions prior to 15.0) to your project references, but you will be unable to use the Instrument I/O Assistant to help configure your project.

Steven Gloor
Staff Customer Engineer - CTA, CLD
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,113 Views)

Steven

Thanks for answering. In the olf Measureemnt Studio with VB6, communicating with instruments through GPIB was very straightforward, one put the control on a form, etc, etc. What would you say is the easiest and fastest way to get going talking to instruments with this version of MS and Visual Basic 2013?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,106 Views)

The examples provide a good starting point. They are located in the C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\NI-VISA\Examples\DotNET4.5 directory. The SimpleReadWrite example works out of the box and only requires you to point to a VISA Resource.

Steven Gloor
Staff Customer Engineer - CTA, CLD
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,053 Views)