Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gpib Langint.dll vs NI 488

@BobSwift wrote:

Did some reading and found this.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3389/en/

This link covers Board Level vs Device Level

6. Board-Level vs. Device-Level Functions

There are two types of GPIB functions: board-level functions and device-level functions. At the device level, you are limited to communicating with one device at a time, while at the board level, you can communicate with multiple devices (but only one device can talk at a time!). With respect to GPIB messages, board-level functions require you to perform Talker/Listener assignments manually with the ibcmd function; device-level functions take care of the Talker/Listener assignments for you.  

Also saw that 488.2 can mix the two.

I know openning and closeing take time and removing the extra open / close commands could help speed things up. I still need to write and read from a device quicker as well. Can you post some VB.net code using 488.2. All the code I've found is Device-Level.

Thanks

There is no reason to be using board-level functions. I have only used it once because I need two counters to start counting at the exact same time.

As I wrote before, you can open a session to each instrument. Close all the sessions only at the termination of the program.

I have never worked with VB.NET using 488.2

I have only used VB.NET using NI-VISA.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(2,417 Views)

I couldn't find the term "session" in the 488.2 user manual or function reference manual.  I'm guessing session is a VISA term?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(2,412 Views)

@BobSwift wrote:

I couldn't find the term "session" in the 488.2 user manual or function reference manual.  I'm guessing session is a VISA term?

What it all boils down to - AGAIN - open communication to a instrument ONCE at the start of the program; close it ONCE at the end of the program.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(2,410 Views)

That's kind of my point, without example code I don't know how. The open command is how I communication to a single device (address the device). If the program would even let me open several devices, I'd still have no way to send setup commands or read data from a single device without some type of addressing code  / return addressing. I have to change the setup of the devices as the program runs. I don't know of a way to address the devices other than the "Open". None of the examples (both of them) show anything like what you are describing. Finding examples of GPIB 488.2 used with VB.net above 2003 (2003 doesn't work with 64 bit machine) is a rare find. Most of the examples I find I can't open due to wrong framework. Most framework is so old you can't download it anymore. Even if the framework passes the conversion to a newer version is VB.net screws it up. Next are the programmers using Wrappers, Active X, API, etc... for GPIB controls. One of those days, at least it's Friday.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(2,404 Views)