Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

daq distribute

Hello:

I have C# data acquistion application that
communicates with NI-DAX using 8.1 version.

I made setup application that install everything
except DAQ driver.

This application will be used by MANY clients
on MANY machines.

Clients want to have intall for DAQ driver.
Cleints don't want to deal with 500mb zip file.

Q1: How can i distribute only DAQ driver software ?

Q2: If there isn't clear solution, maybe there is some other way ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,237 Views)

Perhaps this question might be better asked on the DAQ forums.  However, I did look into this a bit for you.  First of all, there is a lite version of the DAQmx driver: the DAQmx runtime driver.  The installation files for this driver are available at ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/daq/pc/ni-daq/daqmx/8.3/Run-time%20Engine/Runtime/.  As far as the limitations of this, I am not sure what is different between the runtime and the full version other than the fact that the run-time engine is much smaller (~150 MB).  In any case, you could send out the installation files and run the file "setup.exe" either from the full version installation or the runtime installation (located at http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/websearch/7FEAEE6A4B4AA836862571C00064E6CA?opendocument&node=13206... or ni.com/support).

Secondly, if you aren't aware, you can include external installations in your C# build project so that they will be installed when installing your application.  As far as how you can do this, I would recommend checking the MSDN or Visual Studio's help, or perhaps a C# forum online.

Hope this information is helpful.

Message Edited by AndrewMc on 11-07-2006 12:18 PM

Thanks,

Andy McRorie
NI R&D
Message 2 of 5
(3,220 Views)
Hi grisha-

I would recommend the Runtime 4 version for your application.  Runtime 5 is only recommended for applications that are deployed using the LabVIEW, CVI, or Teststand Application Builders.  The runtime versions remove these components in an effort to produce a smaller installer:

Version
Removed Component

Full
Full Support

Runtime
ADE Support

Runtime 2
DAQ Assistant

Runtime 3
NI-DAQmx Documentation

Runtime 4
Real-Time support

Runtime 5
MAX Interface

Tom W
National Instruments
Message 3 of 5
(3,204 Views)

Howdy grisha,

In addition to what Andy and Tom mentioned, I would also suggest taking a look at this forum which discusses implementations of distributing DAQmx with a Visual Studio application. Option 2 on that list can also be changed to LabVIEW if you have LabVIEW installed.

Currently, we provide merge modules for Measurement Studio .NET (all located in Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules) and ActiveX components. One area that R&D is looking into is developing DAQmx driver merge modules. This would allow you to just include these merge module in your Visual Studio setup project and not have to install the DAQmx driver separately.

For more information on deploying Measurement Studio applications, check out the KnowledgeBase Distributing Measurement Studio Applications in Microsoft Visual Studio 2003/2005 and the Measurement Studio help topic "Deploying Measurement Studio Windows Applications".

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Jonathan N.
National Instruments
Message 4 of 5
(3,200 Views)

The link to the DAQmx runtime installations has been updated.  Please refer to this link: http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/websearch/1cafec237c5d5d488625722000531213 to find the installation files for the DAQmx 8.3 Run-time Engines. 

This page also contains a brief summary of each version of the Run-time Engines and installation instructions.

Grisha, please let us know if you encounter any obstacles with this advice.

Thanks,

Andy McRorie
NI R&D
Message 5 of 5
(3,153 Views)