Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Measurement Studio 2015 support Visual Studio 2015?

Hello,

Visual Studio 2015 is a revolutionary step forward for Microsoft as far as development tools.   They've incorporated many new tools and features including Blend.   All the components work well together, its quick, seamless, and seems to have had the bugs wrung out of it ; its high quality stuff.   There's no doubt about MS's comittment to this tool and towards more open-source development - its here to stay and its not a "Moving Target."

That said NI should get busy and release a version of Measurement Studio that will support it.   VS2015 has been out for almost a year now and its time.   Will you at least comit to a schedule for releasing?

Thanks,

Larry

Message 11 of 29
(5,418 Views)

Hi Anna,

I appretiate your interest. We are NI Alliance Partner (OPIDIS SPAIN) and are using MS very activelly in some ocations with LabVIEW app in the same machine. I  going to answer your questions below.

1. Would you be OK with CHM help if we were able to release support for new VS more quickly? Yes CHM help is a very good option but maybe online help would be better option if some topics will be linked with samples and actuallized more frecuently.
  2. Would you be OK with downloading Visual Studio integration components via Update Service to support a new version of Visual Studio instead of getting an entirely new release? This would be very usefull because we would get new features and patches more frecuently.
  3. Do you need to be able to use different versions of Measurement Studio with different versions of Visual Studio on the same machine? Ye we actually are using different versions of VS (2008, 2010 and the last one only)
  4. Would you be OK with us not revising assemblies to be built against new versions of the .NET framework? Yes this would be better and anly we need the mainstream .NET assemblies
  5. Would you be OK with help available only on ni.com (i.e., not installed locally)? Yes if it will help the integration of another components with VS
  6. Would you be OK with Measurement Studio being available only via download (e.g., from the Visual Studio Gallery or NuGet)? Yes absolutelly

Best regards

JUAN JOSE CABANA GONZALEZ

OPIDIS SPAIN

Message 12 of 29
(5,349 Views)

Hi Anna,

Sorry for the rant earlier!!!   To address your questions:

Would you be OK with CHM help if we were able to release support for new VS more quickly?

Sure CHM works for me.
Would you be OK with downloading Visual Studio integration components via Update Service to support a new version of Visual Studio instead of getting an entirely new release?

Yes if this works cleanly, in fact it could be better for us because its a faster mechanism.
Do you need to be able to use different versions of Measurement Studio with different versions of Visual Studio on the same machine?

Nope - VS2015 only.
Would you be OK with us not revising assemblies to be built against new versions of the .NET framework?

That would be acceptable.
Would you be OK with help available only on ni.com (i.e., not installed locally)?

Yes, i have connectivity 99.9% of the time.
Would you be OK with Measurement Studio being available only via download (e.g., from the Visual Studio Gallery or NuGet)?

Yes again this is a faster mechanism.

Thanks !!!

Larry

Message 13 of 29
(5,327 Views)

Hi Anna,

Our move to new versions of Visual Studio is gated by the support for Measurement Studio. For instance, we only recently moved up to Visual Studio 2013 with the release of Measurement Studio 2015.  Therefore I am keen for anything that could help expedite Measurement Studio support for Visual Studio 2015 (and subsequent version).

1. Would you be OK with CHM help if we were able to release support for new VS more quickly? Yes, that works fine for me. 
  2. Would you be OK with downloading Visual Studio integration components via Update Service to support a new version of Visual Studio instead of getting an entirely new release? Yes.
  3. Do you need to be able to use different versions of Measurement Studio with different versions of Visual Studio on the same machine? Usually only the current version and the previous one.
  4. Would you be OK with us not revising assemblies to be built against new versions of the .NET framework? Yes.
  5. Would you be OK with help available only on ni.com (i.e., not installed locally)? Yes.
  6. Would you be OK with Measurement Studio being available only via download (e.g., from the Visual Studio Gallery or NuGet)? Yes.

I'm happy if you want to contact me for further information about how we use Measurement Studio.

Regards,

David

Message 14 of 29
(5,096 Views)

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any progress or traction towards Visual Studio 2015 integration?  It has been almost 6 months since the last postings on this.  Visual Studio has really come into it's own in the past few years, and any programmer with a subscription would want to be updated to 2015.  In fact rumors are saying VS15 (2016) might be out for preview soon.  I downloaded the CHM's and have been able to make use of them (after unblocking all the files one by one, what a pain!) but again full integration would be useful, especially including some way to deploy through Visual Studio's click once, etc instead of a full installer needed every time anything in the application is changed.

Message 15 of 29
(4,313 Views)

Hi All,

so there's some workaround to install (and works with) Measurement Studio 2015 with Visual Studio 2015 ? Could you post it ?

Thanks so much

Regards

Dario

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 29
(4,044 Views)

Dario,

I'm not familiar with any workaround. If there is, please keep in mind that it is not something that would be supported by NI. I completely understand the need to be able to work with the latest version of Visual Studio. Unfortunately though, because a new version of Visual Studio needs to be released for development on Measurement Studio to begin, there is sometimes a gap in which versions of Visual Studio are supported. This page shows which versions of Measurement Studio are compatible with each version of Visual Studio. No announcement has been officially released regarding when a new Measurement Studio version will be released for Visual Studio 2015.

-Will

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 29
(4,015 Views)

Please see this knowledge base item that explains how to use Measurement Studio 2015 with Visual Studio 2015:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/F01DDED92E62447286257F5E0071048D

David Rohacek

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 29
(3,995 Views)

@WillyWad wrote:

Unfortunately though, because a new version of Visual Studio needs to be released for development on Measurement Studio to begin, there is sometimes a gap in which versions of Visual Studio are supported.

This is emphatically not true. Microsoft puts out numerous preview/prerelease version of Visual Studio that NI could use to prepare support in anticipation of the final, public release. Even small, open-source development teams are able to get plugins ready for simultaneous release with new Visual Studio verisons. Given NI's size and status as a multi-national corporation, it's even possible that Microsoft would partner with them to give them limited-access previews even earlier than the public ones.

David,

Thanks for the VS2015 workaround article.

Message 19 of 29
(3,948 Views)

This may be a minute too late but: 

1. Would you be OK with CHM help if we were able to release support for new VS more quickly?  Yes.  It would be nice to have Measurement Studio released with the public release of Visual Studio.  I care less about the format of the help file, and more about keeping my products up to date with the latest tools.
  2. Would you be OK with downloading Visual Studio integration components via Update Service to support a new version of Visual Studio instead of getting an entirely new release?  Yes
  3. Do you need to be able to use different versions of Measurement Studio with different versions of Visual Studio on the same machine?  Not always.  We try to push everyone up to the latest stable version of VS.  
  4. Would you be OK with us not revising assemblies to be built against new versions of the .NET framework?  It would be nice to stay current so we could take advantage of new features, e.g. TPL async await.  But if it works and I can build my apps, and you are a few versions behind, I dont care.
  5. Would you be OK with help available only on ni.com (i.e., not installed locally)?  Sure.  The only time this is a pain is if I am in the field.  Which usually happens after a long QA process and testing.  So by that time, the need for help is long gone.
  6. Would you be OK with Measurement Studio being available only via download (e.g., from the Visual Studio Gallery or NuGet)?  Sure.  

The bottom line is we want to take advantage of new VS features.  We want to keep our dev platform as simple as possible.  Having multiple versions of VS for different apps is not a deal breaker but not ideal.  

Message 20 of 29
(3,522 Views)