Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Measurement Studio 2015 support Visual Studio 2015?

Hi, is it OK just to copy an old VS 2013 & MS 2015 based project to a VS 2015 environment?

I made it and the project seems to work OK.  At the moment I do not need to add new controls by using the toolbox so maybe I can move to VS 2015 permanently. We have a big single project for a standard application for many customers.

Then another question. Is it any idea to switch the target framework from .NET 4.5 to .NET 4.6.1..? All customers have surely .NET 4.5 but maybe not 4.6 so I will not switch if there are no big benefits..

BR,

Ilkka

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 29
(3,258 Views)

I don't know the official stance of NI but I am doing something very similar and it seems to be working.  I am using .NET 4.5.2 and can tell you that running MS2015 for VS2013 under VS2015 has worked so far.  If I need a new NI component that I don't have in my current project I open the project using VS2013 and add it.  Then I move back to VS2015 for development.  It is a pain but since most of my projects are similar I find myself needing to run MS2013 very rarely.

Grant M. Johnson
Project Engineer
LECO Corporation
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 29
(3,245 Views)

Thanks all.  Glad to know someone has tried it and seems to be ok with it.

I may give this a shot.  Crosses fingers.

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 29
(3,243 Views)

Hi Grant,

Thanks for your reply and nice to see that you have switched to 2015. Yes.. I will change to VS2015 too. Actually most of the important components are already in the tool box because I have inherited own controls from NI stuff.

I started also a new ASP.NET based web project. It worked after little playing.. At first creating the project in VS2013 and then jumping to VS2015. 😉

BR,
Ilkka

Message 24 of 29
(3,226 Views)

I also need this support.  Microsoft no longer allows download of VS2012/2013 unless MSDN member but VS2015 and VS2017 are available.  It looks to me like the main problem is with the UI tools but one can still add references to the DAQmx. I will say that I much prefer Measurement Studio to LabView for spectroscopy applications that involve lots of matrix math on the datasets.  Would love to see more posts on how people work around the availability of Visual Studio with Ni drivers.  Surprised not more recent posts in this query.

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 29
(2,150 Views)

I have been using Visual Studio 2015 for over a year now with Measurement Studio 2015 which all members of this thread know only supports Visual studio 2013 natively.  I work as a Test Engineer so my projects are very similar since my base instrumentation doesn't change.  Since the instrumentation is the same it is easy for me to copy projects which also copies all of the NI hooks that I have set up.  I lose my NI controls in my toolbox when I create a new project but if I need them again I perform the following procedure provided by NI :

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8C93FFDC5014C57586257EC30054830A

We all agree that this seems like a needless step but I have grown to live with it.  I am happy with the product and I hope that NI continues to service it well into the future.

Grant M. Johnson
Project Engineer
LECO Corporation
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 29
(2,145 Views)

From our side I can say that we are just losing money for the SSP (Standard Service program) because there have been no product updates last years and we needed extreme little direct customer support. This year will be the last in SSP.

Measurement Studio is no more developed.. we have seen it. We use Visual Studio 2017 and NI is not following anymore.. Measurement Studio has been nice tool but its time is over.

The new measurement SW is based on:

• ASP.NET MVC
  • SignalR
  • HTML5
  • JavaScript
  • etc..

NI could make a surprise by coming to this direction instead of Windows Forms, WPF,.. But DAQmx is enough and works without Measurement Studio. NI hardware we have also in the future.

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 29
(2,137 Views)

I agree. Measurement Studio appears to have been abandoned by NI. I gave up the SSP because it is a waste of money. Why support a department that no longer appears to work at all or is at least 2 years behind Microsoft and the web world. The DAQmx libraries are all you need if you are not using the UI stuff in Measurement Studio.

I am disappointed that NI has left us high and dry. If you are not using LabVIEW then they do not care.

It would be nice if they would release Measurement Studio for open source development.

Message 28 of 29
(2,131 Views)

Hi dwk and others,

I just wanted to write up a quick post regarding the status of Measurement Studio. A few years ago, we made the difficult decision to create first-class .NET development experiences for all of our drivers rather than release a Measurement Studio 2017. While this decision perpetuated the myth that we've abandoned the Measurement Studio product line, it allowed us to create native .NET APIs for our entire DAQ and MI hardware portfolio - thereby enabling .NET developers, both Measurement Studio users and not, to work efficiently and intuitively with all of NI's hardware. Our .NET customers and, especially, our Measurement Studio customers remain incredibly important to NI and are critical to our current and future success as a company. We are committed to continuing to invest in the Measurement Studio roadmap and our entire .NET development experience for years to come.

As a proof point to this commitment, I'm pleased to announce that the beta for Measurement Studio 2019 is now live. The Measurement Studio 2019 beta features native integration with Visual Studio 2015 and Visual Studio 2017, an all-new debug visualizer, and integration with our new package-based software delivery system, NI Package Manager

The beta is hosted on the NI Software Technology Preview Forum; the application for which is accessible through this link:

http://www.ni.com/en-us/support/software-technology-preview.html

(Note that you may need to apply for the beta and wait for acceptance as we run participants through regulatory compliance checks.)

Please let me know if you have any questions for me or would like any more information on NI's investments toward our .NET user base. 

Warm Regards,

Collin D.
Software Product Manager
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 29
(1,542 Views)