cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Studio 2012 Support

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

Is Measurement Studio 2012 compatible with the newly released Visual Studio 2012 (no longer in beta as of this post)?  Thank you for any information you can provide!!

-Eric

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(9,596 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author EricJay

Hello EricJay,

Great question! Measurement Studio 2012 is not compatible with the recently released Visual Studio 2012. This is the main priority for the next release.

Jacob R. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(9,580 Views)

You should still be able to use the Measurement Studio 2012 assemblies with Visual Studio 2012.

Jacob R. | Applications Engineer | National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(9,579 Views)

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for the update.  I do not expect to begin any VS2012 projects for a while, since there is a lot to learn about the new Metro UI for Windows 8.  It is good to know that support for VS2012 is in the works.  Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(9,564 Views)

So what parts of Measurement Studio 2012 will not work with Visual Studio 2012? Will the help system integrate?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(9,553 Views)

@dwk: MS 2012 Beta seems to work with VS 2012 except for the XAML (designer) view. When viewing NI controls in design view, it throws an error saying MS 2012 is not registered for this version of Visual Studio. Also, the NI controls are not put in the toolbox by default, but you can add them very easily if you want.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(9,547 Views)

Hi All,

As Jacob metioned, Measurement Studio 2012 does not support Visual Studio 2012. We do not have a complete list of what does and does not work in Visual Studio 2012 yet. However, I can tell you a few things that we do know.

• Integration support will not work (in fact it won't install by design). This includes the Measurement Studio menu items, DAQ and I/O Assistants, project templates, and toolbox integration. 
  • The MStudio help will not integrate into the VS 2012 help. Your best option there is to either use Visual Studio 2010 help viewer, or the online help: MStudio Online Help.
  • Microsoft has made several changes WPF designer in Visual Studio 2012, so you will run into a few designer issues with our WPF controls.
  • You can build .NET 4.5 or 4.0 projects using our .NET 4.0 assemblies. For WPF, the assemblies will work in the code behind.
  • Our components will not show up in the Toolbox by default, but you can add them manually by following the same instructions for MStudio 2009 in VS 2010: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B041EF3CAF634FD98625770500509298?OpenDocument

Also, we currently do not plan to support Windows 8 Metro UI in the next release of Measurement Studio.

Visual Studio 2012 support is our top priority for the next release of Measurement Studio.

National Instruments
Message 7 of 21
(9,521 Views)

Thank you D. Biel for your response. I am not worried about Windows 8 support at this time but I do want to use Visual Studio 2012 as it shows many improvements over Visual Studio 2010. It is too bad that NI did not implement support for VS 2012 as it became available so shortly after MS 2012. With both of them showing the 2012 moniker you would think they would play well together. Oh well, I had to deal with this after VS 2010 came out so I guess I will have to deal with it again.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(9,518 Views)

Hi,

My company just updated my Visual Studio to 2012 version.

I have tried installing Measurement Studio without success and also tried to add reference manually.

Our solution uses just NationalInstruments.UI dll, I tried adding this assembly by reference to the project, also didn't work.

I talked with your support and they told me that your next release will support the new VS 2012.

Since I can't compile, I am stack!

You didn't provide and date for the release, I am asking for some solution, heard you have a beta version, maybe it can resolve my problem.

Please Help!!

Thank you, 

Guy Katznelson.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(9,212 Views)

If you still have VS2010 installed you can configure your solution there and then open it in VS2012.

I too am disappointed that NI did not prepare the Measurement Studio 2012 for VS2012 before release. It's not like they did not know VS2012 was coming. As far as NI is concerned, if it does not pertain to LabView, they really don't care. I am surprised that they even support Measurement Studio at all anymore.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 21
(9,206 Views)