Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using OPC with the Measurement Studio Network Variable?

Hi all

i have a example  OPC VI that works very fine (Attachment). Now i have tried the

"Using OPC with the Measurement Studio Network Variable" (http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/65630616C280E4D486257237006845D1)

but i can not configure this properly with a Siemens OPC Server in the Variable Manager? The DEMO NI Server works.

Can anybody help me.

Mfg
Achim

Sorry for my english
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,527 Views)
What happens when you try to configure the OPC I/O server to connect to your Siemens OPC server?
James
Senior Software Engineer
Web Technologies
LabVIEW R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,517 Views)
Hi Mogram

i can view  the names of the items on the S7 demo opc server, but i can not define a variable of the item in the NI variable manager. I tried to show the same item in the shared variable manager thts shows in the vi...

Sorry im not in the office...
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,514 Views)
I'd just like to make sure we're on the same page here.  The steps to create a variable bound to an OPC server item are as follows:
  1. In Variable Manager, right click on My Computer and select "New Process", name the process whatever you wish (or use an existing process)
  2. Right click on your process and select New I/O server... and select OPC in the I/O server dialog
  3. Name the server whatever you want.
  4. In the OPC server configuration dialog, select the OPC server you wish to connect to and set your other options (update rates, deadbands, etc...)
  5. Now right click on the process and select New Variable....
  6. In the variable configuration dialog check the checkbox labeled "Bind to Source"
  7. Click Browse... to browse to the source and find the OPC server you created in step 4 under your computer name
  8. When you pick the item, click ok and ensure that the data type and access rights match the OPC item (they should already).
  9. You should be done at this point

At what point in this process does your system not work?

James
Senior Software Engineer
Web Technologies
LabVIEW R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,507 Views)
Hi Morgram,

thank you for your reply.

i can not define my remote I/o server see my Attachment.

With the siemens opc  Scout i can trace my opc  item DemoTemperature ===> //192.168.8.5/OPC.SimaticNET/S7:[DEMO]DemoTemperature

Furthermore i can not do this with teh NI Server Explorer 2.4.1
-select Netzwekumgebung
-select remote host (IPEPDVWINPLC)
-select OPC.SimaticNet
-->use the Wizard....continue.......continue
     --conected to the opc server.....
     I can see all  all items in the Name(Device\Item) the c symbol is green (connected) column ...and  in the Item ID column
    the value, timestamp and quality columns shows ???

The working VI from the first post uses the old socket library (show into) , with the actual socket library the VI does not work.....

Thanks
Achim
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,491 Views)
womisa,

I apologize for the delay in replying to your post. I have a few questions for you, that hopefully you won't mind answering.

What version of LV-DSC are using (8.0, 8.0.1, or 8.2)?

If instead of creating the OPC Client I\O Server in VarMan you attempt to create it in your LV project do you get the same error "You must select an OPC Server"?

In server explorer, if you right click on the server (after it has been connected too) in the left tree and hit properties you should get a multi tabed properties box. If you click on the "Interfaces" tab it should show you the list of interfaces Server Explorer was able to get/ not get. Whould you please post that list? Also the infromation in the "Registry" tab. You might also verify that on the "status" page the first line reads "Server Status: Running"

In server explorer, from your description it seems that you can connect to the items correctly but you simply do not get any values? Can you attempt to write to the items with server explorer and see if that works?

-Lorenz
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,445 Views)
Hi Lorenz,

thanks to your answer. I have tried many things.... now it works with the VarMan and in the LV Project (why????). in the morning after the restart of my system it works. Yesterday i have controlled the security launch permissons....
In the ServerExplorer 2.4.1 is the value of my item is permanently 0 but the VarMan displays the actual value.

Many greetings
Achim

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,431 Views)
Hi Lorenz,

i think wenn first to try define a IO-Server and a variable in the VarMan it is not working Then i make the same in a LV Project it works.  It is very mysterious an for me not reproducible.

Thanks
Achim
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,424 Views)
Yes, this is certainly mysterious to me as well. I'm not (original post left out the word "not") entirely sure what the issue is.

The only thing I can think of is maybe you didn't restart after installing the OPC server or possibly LV? But, I am assuming you got it to work at this point and are happy?

-Lorenz

Message Edited by Lorenz03Tx on 01-23-2007 09:19 AM

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,420 Views)