cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for .NET Framework 3.5 in Windows 10

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to install .NET 3.5 support on my Windows 10 machine for use with NI Visa. We built our software around Visa 5.1.2, but I'm not sure if we would need to globally update our libraries or if there's a way to force the NI installer to detect .NET 3.5 on the machine. The framework is installed on the Windows 10 machine, but for some reason the NI installer won't detect it. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(6,065 Views)

Hello juchong1,

Unfortunately there is not way to force the NI installer to detect .NET3.5. In fact, it is not possible to include .NET3.5 in NI installer. You can instead create a bash file to install .NET3.5 or install .NET bundle separately.  

Cheers,

Saki K.
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(6,013 Views)

Hi saki,

I believe that's where my problem lies. I've already installed .NET 3.5 on my machine, but the installer isn't detecting it for some reason. Any ideas why this may be happening?

-Juan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,011 Views)

Hello Juan,

What behavior are you observing that indicates that the installer is not detecting .NET3.5? It would be very helpful if you could post a screenshot of the behavior that you are observing.

Cheers, 

Saki K.
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,004 Views)

Screenshot attached. ".NET Framework 3.5 Language Support" - "This feature will not be installed."

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,001 Views)

Hi Juan,

You probably know this already but VISA 5.1.2 is not supported in Windows 10 and I believe that is why this is happening. I suggest you upgrade your VISA or downgrade your Windows.

Cheers,

Saki K.
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,968 Views)

Hi Saki,

I finally figured out a way around the NI installer. I thought it would be good to document it here in case anyone ran into the same issue.

Initially I attempted to install .NET framework 3.5 support on my Windows 10 machine, but even though the framework was properly installed, the NI installer refused to detect it.

<Image of failed install>

The workaround I discovered is to install NI VISA without support for any .NET frameworks and manually force the installation of .NET support. Once the install completes, open the folder where VISA was extracted and navigate to: NI-VISA > 5.1.2 > Products > NI-VISA

Once there, open the MStudioVisa.2008.msi installer and enable the installation of support for .NET languages. If everything installed correctly, the libraries should be located in the correct location for VS 2008 to find!

Hope this helps!

-Juan

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,621 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author juchong1

Sorry for the double post. I ran out of time to edit my previous message.

Hi Saki,

I finally figured out a way around the NI installer. I thought it would be good to document it here in case anyone ran into the same issue.

Initially I attempted to install .NET framework 3.5 support on my Windows 10 machine, but even though the framework was properly installed, the NI installer refused to detect it.

NoWorky.PNG

The workaround I discovered is to install NI VISA without support for any .NET frameworks and manually force the installation of .NET support. Once the primary install completes, open the folder where VISA was extracted and navigate to: 

NI-VISA > 5.1.2 > Products > NI-VISA

Once there, open the MStudioVisa.2008.msi installer, ignore the warnings about running the installer outside of an NI installer, and enable the installation of support for .NET languages. If everything installed correctly, the libraries should be located in the correct location for VS 2008 to find!

KindaWorky.PNG

Worky.PNG

Hope this helps!

-Juan

Message 8 of 9
(5,615 Views)

Vielen Dank.

Hat mich nach endlosersuche suche nach der richtigen dll zu Ziel geführt.

Super Doku...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,984 Views)