ScatterGraph Vs WaveformGraph

e.g. If got these data, as follows:

Time / Value

11:48:05 / 85

11:50:04 / 88

11:52:06 / 89

11:57:08 / 90

12:00:00 / 91

Assuming the data will be received / updated from time to time. Should I use ScatterGraph / WaveformGraph to plot the Value (y-axis) Vs Time (x-axis)? How to do it?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,312 Views)
IMO you can use a WaveformGraph. Your data acquisition period is slow, so you can easily plot the points one per one.

You just need to save the last time to compute the increment value

int increment = _lastTime - dataTime;
PlotYAppend( dataValue, increment );

(add a test for the first data)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,304 Views)
The waveform graph is useful for dispaying data that occurs on regular intervals. So you can use the PlotY methods and specify the increment on the x axis. You can specify this increment in time or a double value, depending on the particular overload of the PlotY method you use.

In your case, it looks like the time intervals are not regularly spaced. It might be best to specify the XY data everytime by using the PlotXY methods. Check out the examples under C:\Program Files\National Instruments\MeasurementStudio2003\DotNET\Examples\UI\Graph to see how to use the waveformgraph and the scattergraph (also called an XY graph).

The documentation for these controls are fully integrated into visual studio .net 2003. So you can use Dynamic Help, f1 Help and all the other help features of visual studio to find out more about the methods and properties of the Measurement Studio controls.

Hope this helps
Bilal Durrani
NI
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,297 Views)
I have read the sample program - XY graph, any more similar program?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,287 Views)
The graphs included in the Measurement Studio folder are probably the best examples we have. Is there somthing specific you are looking for that is not in that example? Let me know what else you are looking for so that I can try and find an example that fits your needs.

Caroline
National Instruments
Thanks,
Caroline Tipton
Data Management Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,264 Views)
Have you find the solution ? I have the same problem...
If you can give me a short sample.
Thanks !!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,926 Views)
Im working with the same Data, Value vs Time, and im using Scattergraph and it works fine, you only need to append or replace the data to your collection, example :

scatterPlot2.PlotXYAppend(TimeNow,Data);
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,855 Views)