Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems building InstallShield installer after upgrading to MS 2010

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for the quick reply.

It looks like 'should' != does for VISA 5.3 that comes with NI488.2 3.1.1.

Was the MSM signature mismatch issue reported as part of the fixes for MStudio 2010 SP1? I could not find that one listed...

It is possible that the mismatch was fixed in MStudio 2010 SP1 but did not get into the installer for Visa 5.3?

Perhaps comparing revisions might elucidate the present status of this issue. Here is what got installed here with VISA 5.3 on Windows 8 x64:

NationalInstruments.common.dll: 13.0.40.188

NationalInstruments.VisaNS.dll: 13.0.40.167

mstudiocommon.2010.msms: 13.0.0.188

mstudiovisa.2010.msms: 13.0.0.167

I hope this helps

Thanks

David

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 24
(1,636 Views)

Hi David,

As of Mesurement Studio 2013, the .NET 4.0 merge modules do not support Visual Studio 2010 SP1. We have intentionally kept the dependency on Visual Studio 2010 instead of 2010 SP1. If you are using a Visual Studio Setup project to distribute your application, then you will not see this deployment error. However, if you are using a third-party unsupported deployment tool such as InstallShield, you may experience errors. The workaround is to replace the reference with the non-SP1 merge module.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 24
(1,634 Views)

Please clarify."...you will not see this deployment error...."

I presume you are saying: ... the dependency warnings exists because you are using VS2010 SP1 but this warning is ignored if the installer is packaged using VS2010. Correct?

As reported elsewhere on the forum, apparently, the VC runtime is not required for VISA. Is that correct?

If so, we can live with the warning. 

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 24
(1,632 Views)

@nickb wrote:

Hello Steven -

I'm going to guess that you've recently installed Service Pack 1 for Visual Studio 2010.  It appears that SP1 for VS 2010 overwrites the two merge modules you mentioned, and replaces them with merge modules with different signatures.  Because the Measurement Studio 2010 merge modules were built against the non SP1 version of Visual Studio 2010, the build errors you're seeing result. 

I've attached the non SP1 version of these merge modules below.  You should be able to add them to your installer project and get past the build errors.  Please let me know if you have any trouble or questions.

NickB

National Instruments

In case someone else doesn't want to mess with WIX for a single project.... I had a similar problem to the OP., while running VS 2013, MS2010 and using DAQmx 14.1 execpt it was the DAQmx.msm that was throwing the errors on the VC++ msm files. After I renamed the originals and added the ones Nick posted, those errors went away on the InstallShield LE setup, but I was still getting errors that it couldn't find files for DAQmx when trying to run the program. Then I saw I had to add the Runtime (160MB for a single driver?!?!), but still had the same error. Then I noticed the DAQmx dll still wasn't being added to the GAC. Once I manually added the dll to be installed in the GAC to my InstallShield LE setup, the program would run. 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 24
(1,248 Views)