From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plot large WAV files using scattergraph

Hello Folks,

I have installed Measurement Studio 8.1.0.256 professional. I need to display a large WAV file. 691200000 samples(~1.3GB).
Has anybody ever tried to display a file this large using the scatter graph component.

The maximum I can set the HistoryCapacity to is 10000000. Any value higher than this and I get an out of memory exception.

Does this mean that the scatter graph component is only capable of displaying 10000000 samples and therefore the whole file cannot be
displayed on the screen?

Any ideas about how to display the file shall be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Ciaran.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,735 Views)
Hi Ciaran,

I would advise you not to plot all your 691,200,000 samples simultaneously.
Say, to show the general picture, plot 691 calculated points, where each of them should be an average of 1,000,000 original points. Selecting the area of your interest (say 1/10 in width) use only
69,120,000 points from this area and averaging length = 100,000. And so on.

It is just an example.
Let us be different.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,717 Views)

Hi,

the option of averaging is probably the easiest to implement. The main point being that unless you have a screen resolution 691,200,000 pixels wide, then there's no point trying to plot every single point. Don't forget aswell that if you pass a large amount of data to an object on the screen, then you're increasing the amount of memory used at once (e.g. 1.3GB of data in memory, and then plotting it will add another 1.3GB of memory requirement if it were possible since the plot will hold a copy of the data)

Another option would be to upload sections of the file into a graph depending on where a scroll bar or spinner is positioned so you could have an easy to view version too (effectively a zoom in)

Thanks

Sacha Emery
National Instruments (UK)

// it takes almost no time to rate an answer Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,704 Views)