From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pass on button style to GraphInteractionPalette buttons

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a way to pass on our custom Button style to GraphInteractionPalette?

Redesigning GraphInteractionPalette from scratch in Blend isn't something I want to persue.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,296 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kirko7

Unfortunately, the template for the graph interaction palette uses a fixed style to configure the buttons. I have created a task to address this in a future Measurement Studio release.

As a workaround, you can use the skin example in the attached XAML file as a starting point.

~ Paul H
Message 2 of 6
(4,286 Views)

OK, thank you for the quick feedback!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,284 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author kirko7

Just wanted to let you know that Measurement Studio 2019 added a ButtonStyle property to control this directly:

<ni:GraphInteractionPalette>
    <ni:GraphInteractionPalette.ButtonStyle>
        <Style TargetType="ButtonBase">
            <Setter Property="Width" Value="{Binding RelativeSource={RelativeSource FindAncestor, AncestorType={x:Type ni:GraphInteractionPalette}}, Path=ButtonSize.Width}" />
            <Setter Property="Height" Value="{Binding RelativeSource={RelativeSource FindAncestor, AncestorType={x:Type ni:GraphInteractionPalette}}, Path=ButtonSize.Height}" />
            <Setter Property="Padding" Value="{Binding RelativeSource={RelativeSource FindAncestor, AncestorType={x:Type ni:GraphInteractionPalette}}, Path=Padding}" />
            <Setter Property="ToolTipService.ToolTip" Value="{Binding}" />
            <Setter Property="Content" Value="{Binding}" />
            <Setter Property="ContentTemplateSelector">
                <Setter.Value>
                    <niPrimitives:NamedTemplateSelector />
                </Setter.Value>
            </Setter>

<!-- style customization -->
            <Setter Property="Background" Value="LightGreen" />
        </Style>
    </ni:GraphInteractionPalette.ButtonStyle>
</ni:GraphInteractionPalette>

As you can see, this still requires duplication of standard bindings to get standard behavior. This can be simplified with some code to pull in the default button style:

Code:
public MainWindow()
{
    var defaultPaletteStyle = (Style)this.FindResource(typeof(GraphInteractionPalette));
    var baseButtonStyle = defaultPaletteStyle.Resources.Values.OfType<Style>().Single(s => typeof(ButtonBase).IsAssignableFrom(s.TargetType));
    this.Resources["BaseButtonStyle"] = baseButtonStyle;

InitializeComponent();
}

XAML:
<ni:GraphInteractionPalette>
    <ni:GraphInteractionPalette.ButtonStyle>
        <Style TargetType="ButtonBase" BasedOn="{StaticResource BaseButtonStyle}">
            <Setter Property="Background" Value="LightGreen" />
        </Style>
    </ni:GraphInteractionPalette.ButtonStyle>
</ni:GraphInteractionPalette>
~ Paul H
Message 4 of 6
(2,367 Views)

Thank you, Paul!

I actually just realized that 2019 is out and was wondering what changes were made.  I mean, I see the release notes but there isn't much unless I'm looking at a wrong link.

I will have to order 2019 then.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,363 Views)

Specifically for the WPF controls, the 2019 release was focused primarily on performance and bug fixes (so fewer high-level things to announce; it just works better :)).

~ Paul H
Message 6 of 6
(2,359 Views)