Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nonexistand GPIB Interface, measurament studio example

Hello, i am evaluating Measurament Studio, i installed the latest version and the 488.2 drivers.

I loaded the Simple asyncronous Read Write example to try to communicate via 488 but i receive this error when i try to write or read:

Nonexisteng GPIB Interface.

I am using an USB Agilent 82357B, it works with CVI, i can communicate via 488.2 without any issue, but i would like to make it works with measurament studio.

Any hints?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(5,366 Views)

Hi,

I have two suggestions for you:

1. Check if you installed the comptability mode for GPIB

2. Verify that you have the GPIB Language Interface installed. 

Best Regards

Miguel Fonseca

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

http://www.ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(5,356 Views)

Hi, I installed the GPIB 488.2 driver and about the second point is not needed since that is a old 2003 API that is already included in MEasurament studio, also I use VS2010.

The problem is that the Example compile and run without problem, but when i press the Write or Read button it says nonexistent GPIB interface.

Could it be a problem of the agilend USB gpib interface?

But it does works with CVI.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(5,354 Views)

To be more clear: this is the code i am using in c#:

device = new Device((int)boardIdNumericUpDown.Value,(byte)primaryAddressNumericUpDown.Value,(byte)currentSecondaryAddress);

device.Write(stringtowrite);

Basically I open the new device with board number = to 0 (GPIB0), the address of the instrument, and no secondary address.

Then when i call the device.write i recive the error of NonExistent GPIB interface.

In CVI i use the same parameters and i can easily communicate with the instrument.

As I already said, i installed the 488.2 drivers and of course the libraries for .NET.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(5,342 Views)

Hi,

I'd like to ask you, you are getting this error using measurement studio and C#?

You can use this example demonstrates how to use the Measurement Studio GPIB (CWGPIB) control to write to and read from a GPIB instrument

Regards,

Miguel Fonseca

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(5,331 Views)

The example you linked don't works, i cant compile it:

Error    1    The type or namespace name 'AxCWInstrumentControlLib' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)    C:\Users\Public\Documents\National Instruments\NI-488.2\Examples\DotNET4.0\simple_gpib\Form1.cs    47    11    Simple GPIB

But it seems it uses an old version of the library, I am trying to run the National Instrument Example called SimpleReadWrite, provided with Measurement Studio, using the GPIB library, and this example give me the error i posted above.

Anyway the Measurament studio help and support is very poor, there is no a proper guide to installation, the help topics are hard to reach and the website refer to different versions without saying which!

I don't really think I will buy it, I can't even get it to work!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(5,326 Views)

Hi,

I understand how you feel about this process but sometimes the process of comunicating two different verdor technologies it's a little bit complicated.

Can you please use the National Instruments Measurement & Automation Explorer to verify that your computer detects your GPIB device?

Thank you

Miguel Fonseca

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(5,318 Views)

No the automation exporer doesn't display my gpib card.

Is it probably because i am usint an agilent and not a ni one?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(5,315 Views)

I managed to make it seen with Automation explorer, not sure if it is seen correctly, here are some screenshots

ni_max1.jpg

ni_max2.jpg

ni_max3.jpg

In this last picture you can see the NI example i am using, the gpib board number and device address are correct since they are the same I use with CVI.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(5,313 Views)

Hi,

In order to make your device visible for the Measurement Studio environment first you need to make it work with MAX.

Which version of NI-VISA and NI-488.2 drivers do you have on your computer?

Regards,

Miguel Fonseca

Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(5,300 Views)