From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Variable Exception

Hi

I have a network variable to output some data I've acquired.

I initialised the variable using
private NetworkVariableBufferedWriter<double[]> _bwData;
_bwData = new NetworkVariableBufferedWriter<double[]>(@"\\localhost\System\data");
_bwData.Connect();

On the Connect() method I am getting a NetworkVariableException with the message "The network variable process was not found or is not responding"

The code did not give this error until I built the installation project. Is there something I am missing?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,170 Views)
There are two ways to deploy Network Variable, Client and Server. There is a help topic at (NI Measurement Studio Help >> Deploying Measurement Studio Applications >> Deploying Measurement Studio Network Variable Applications) that is installed with Measurement Studio. To summarize:

Client
This is if you want the deployed application to not host variables but rather communicate with an existing machine that is hosting variables. In your case, you deployed to the machine and the Location is set to localhost, so it is looking for the variable on the deployed machine which is not currently configured to run the Network Variable server engine. This option is accomplished by creating a VS.NET setup project and including the proper merge modules.

Server
This is where you want the target machine to host variables. To accomplish this task, you need to run a separate installer included with the Measurement Studio installation. See help topic for more details.

So in your case, you could either change the Location of the variable to point to a machine that is capable of hosting variables (your dev machine or another machine) or run the separate installer to allow the deployed machine the ability to host variables.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,161 Views)
great, thanks for that
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,152 Views)