Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 6008 USB transaction failures upon some startups

Usually my C# .NET 4.0 app works with the NI 6008 drivers.  It runs 4 threads that access that card.  Usually they all work great.  However sometimes it appears the USB drivers fail when the app starts.  Not having much luck fixing it.  We have had to put the NI 6008 out on a USB hub becuase its inside a of hardware panel.

Often as I run my app I get this below:

this thread,NI Platform Services:  A USB transfer failed due to a transaction error reported by the USB host controller.  This may be due to a fault in the system's USB host controller, a USB cable, or a USB device.

Task Name: _unnamedTask<0>

Status Code: -50808

other thread,NI Platform Services:  A USB transfer failed due to a transaction error reported by the USB host controller.  This may be due to a fault in the system's USB host controller, a USB cable, or a USB device.

Task Name: _unnamedTask<3>

yet another thread,NI Platform Services:  A USB transfer failed due to a transaction error reported by the USB host controller.  This may be due to a fault in the system's USB host controller, a USB cable, or a USB device.

Task Name: _unnamedTask<2>

yet another thread,Lost USB connection to test panel.

Check USB cable connection then press OK.

NI Platform Services:  A USB transfer failed due to a transaction error reported by the USB host controller.  This may be due to a fault in the system's USB host controller, a USB cable, or a USB device.

Task Name: _unnamedTask<1>

yet another thread,NI Platform Services:  A USB transfer failed due to a transaction error reported by the USB host controller.  This may be due to a fault in the system's USB host controller, a USB cable, or a USB device.

Reboot of PC required for app to start working again.  NI MAX fails to work or run if you select this device (task manager required to kill it).

TIA

www.certtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,627 Views)

The underlying issue could come from the host controller, the device, or even the USB cable. Some host controllers are more susceptible than others to encountering these transaction errors.  It is recommended to double-check your USB cable and if necessary try the device on a different host controller.

You could try a different USB host controller (PCI USB host controllers cost typically between 20 and 30 dollars).

Here is a related document : Why Do I Receive Error -50405 or Error -50808 Using an NI USB DAQ Device When Inserting or Removing ...

Also, you may be able tor resolve the issue by using an externally powered host controller.

Regards,

Isaac S.

Regards,
Isaac S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,618 Views)

Thanks!

You were correct. 

I discovered we had a hardware issue with some noisy solenoids that would produce emf noise when closing, which would shutdown the usb hub or the 6008 or the device drivers.  Continually banging on the relays would shutdown the usb connection very quickly.  I was only turning them off at the end of testing and blaming the drivers when they failed to startup again, but really they were dead from the end of test shutdown cycle.  Cycling power on the 6008 fixed the problem each time.  We are working on the noise issue now.

www.certtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,612 Views)

Hello

I had the same issue and it was caused by the solenoids during shudown. I added a diode to all solenoids to avoid surge during solenoid shutoff and it fixed the problem.

Hope it helps

JCollado
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,063 Views)