Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measurement Studio 2015 Installer Bullder registry problem

Hi,

I made a new setup project by the new Measurement Studio 2015 Installer Builder. It seems to be nice product but I cannot add registry keys for handling file extensions so that our software will be the default program for our data files. The registry values will not stay in the Installer Builder project.

instprop.png

BR,
Ilkka

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,737 Views)

Hi Ilka,

It seems you have not added any values to the registry key. The value shown in your screenshot is actually just the Default value.

To add a new value, you need to use the Edit Registry Key drop down, and select Add Value»value_type. Once you have added a non-default value to a registry key, you can give it a name, and value. See the following screenshot:

AddValue.JPG

Alternatively, you can import a registry key from file using Edit Registry Key»Import. This allows you to create the registry key on your dev system using regedit, export from regedit, and simply import it into Installer Builder.

For more information on registry keys in Installer Builder, see the Registry Keys help topic (Measurement Studio Installer Builder Help»Installer Builder User Interface»Application Components»Registry Keys).

Let me know if that helps!

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,733 Views)

Hi Daniel,

yes, thanks. I see that the created values stays in Installer Builder but the imported ones are lost after a restart even if those are not in the Default field:

importprop2.png

The import fills the Default field from the Windows registry:

default.png

importprop.png

OK.. I try to fill all stuff manually tomorrow.. Or do I make something wrong with the import?

br,
Ilkka

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,726 Views)

Hi, Ilka

I've reproduced the behavior you're seeing. It appears that registry keys that are imported from file do not get saved to the (.iip) project file. There also seems to be a bug with the way imports are handled. I found an instance where I could add a duplicate of a special key, which should not be allowed. I will file some bug reports, and post bug IDs here when I have them.

Thanks for the feedback!

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,722 Views)

Hi, Ilka

I filed the following bug reports:

534324 Registry keys imported by Installer Builder are not saved properly to the .iip project file.

If you import a .reg file on the Registry Keys tab of Installer Builder and save your project, the registry keys and values you imported are not available when you subsequently close and reopen your project.

Workaround: Manually create registry keys and values instead of importing them.
534441 (Default) registry key values do not appear in the value field on the Registry tab of Installer Builder after opening a project which contains values for (Default) registry keys.

While the (Default) values do not display in the Registry tab, the values are set in the .iip project file and appear in the final MSI created by Installer Builder.

Workaround: Check the .iip project file to verify that the (Default) keys contain values.
534325 Registry keys imported by Installer Builder are not properly built into the installer.

If you import a .reg file on the Registry Keys tab of Installer Builder and save your project, some of the registry keys and values you imported are not built into the installer that is created when you click the Build button.

Workaround: Manually create registry keys and values instead of importing them.

These issues will make it into the known issues list for Measurement Studio when its released as well. Please let us know if you have any more feedback about Measurement Studio 2015 or Installer Builder.

Thanks!

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,685 Views)

Hi Daniel,

Thanks.

We need to make many things for a complete installation. The new Measurement Studio Installer Builder helps the DAQmx installation which is very good. But what we do not need is to show the NI installation folders. Our customers have no idea what is NI or what are these folders. And if the NI folders are hidden then our product has the focus..

hide.png

At the moment our installation is little complicated.. we do the following:

• Our SW (at the moment with WiX)
  • NI Max (runtime or with config)
  • SQL Server Express or some other database installation.
  • Windows firewall configuration changes
  • Running netsh commands for other tricks
  • Running PowerShell scripts or our own config sw.

It would be nice if we could add the database server installation and/or more easy way to change Windows and its firewall settings into the Installer Builder.

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend :-),

Ilkka

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,633 Views)