Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(MS .NET, Csharp) adding component causes severe slowdown.

After adding a numeric edit my program has a huge slowdown in execution speed. Just dropping the edit on the form caused this. Any suggestions?
Windows XP, 1.5Ghz Athlon, 1Gig mem, 100Gig freespace on hd.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 31
(10,663 Views)
What version of Measurement Studio are you using? Which numeric edit did you add to your form? Is it the CWNumEdit ActiveX control or is it the Windows Forms NumericEdit control that's new in Measurement Studio 7.1?

- Elton
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 31
(10,645 Views)
Not really a comment, trying to reply to your questions. I am using the .NET controls under the Measurement Studio .NET Tools bar. I have tried the numeric edit and also just an LED with the same results.
MS version is 7.1.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 31
(10,645 Views)
Hi sweeten,

I tried to replicate the problem you're seeing, but had no success. Does this problem occur when you create a blank C# project, drop the Numeric Edit or LED onto the form, then execute the project? If so, can you zip that C# project up, then post it here for us to try?

David Mc.
NI Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 31
(10,645 Views)
Here is a sample application.
It takes around a minute after clicking the run button in Visual Studio before the form appears.
Without the LED it appears almost instantly.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 31
(10,647 Views)
Hello Sweeten,

I have tested the example that you posted, and I am unable to replicate the issue that you are experiencing. On all three machines that I have tested your application on, the form appeared almost instantly from when I hit the run button. I know that you said that without the LED the form appears almost instantly, but I am curious to know if you experience the same problem with a Windows control. For example does it take a long time for the form to load when you use a command button, or is it only with the Measurement Studio controls?

Regards,
Kevin L.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 31
(10,645 Views)
Only Measurement Studio controls. I had a need for a numeric edit, so I tried the one in Measurement studio and had the slow down. I then deleted it and used the windows control instead and had no problems.
Thats when I decided to do some experimenting with a blank form and adding a single control. It also doesn't matter debug or release both behave the same way.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 31
(10,645 Views)
Hello sweeten,

I have done some further testing on the application that you have attached to this page, and I am still unable to reproduce the problems that you are experiencing. I would first recommend trying the application on a different machine, because I believe that this problem is specific to the machine that you are working with. You may also want to check to see if you could update the video driver for your machine or change the hardware acceleration on your video card. This could also play a role in the slow load time of your C# form.

Regards,
Kevin Leonard
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 31
(10,644 Views)
Here is a possible difference. I have DirectX Extensions for Visual Studio .NET installed.
Could this be what is causing the problem?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 31
(10,236 Views)
Hello sweeten,

I would be surprised if DirectX Extensions was causing the problem since the Measurement Studio controls do not use DirectX. However, you could try to remove DirectX Extensions and see if the window does load faster. I hope that this information is helpful.

Regards,
Kevin Leonard
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 31
(10,213 Views)