Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Licensing for TDMS .NET dll

I asked a question about licensing for the TDMS .NET DLL back in 2011 (https://forums.ni.com/t5/Measurement-Studio-for-NET/C-NET-TDMS-library/m-p/1689866), but at the time I was the lone developer and things have changed since then. I just need to clarify a few things about licensing requirements for an application using the TDMS .NET DLL from Measurement Studio.

The application we're making wouldn't use any part of Measurement Studio besides the TDMS DLL to read TDMS files generated by a third-party application. Our application is distributed across multiple machines, and each machine would be using the DLL to read the files. However, the application is automated so no user would be directly interacting with the DLL or TDMS files.

We currently have 4 developers working on the application that would make use of the DLL. Do we need a Measurement Studio license for each developer? For each machine where the application will run? Or is there some other requirement?

Thanks,

Shawn Weaver

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,711 Views)

Hi ShawnWeaver

I believe the easiest method to reading TDMS files would be to purchase extra seats of Measurement Studio, but I understand that is not ideal. I have found information from this KnowledgeBase article mentioned in the post you linked earlier, as well as from this white paper mentioned in the KnowledgeBase that there is a TDM C DLL that should technically work, but will be less convenient to work with in C#. If you are interested in pursuing this option, the TDM C DLL download is located in the attachments for the white paper linked above.

Andy F.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,677 Views)

Hi Shawn,

You will need a license for Measurement Studio on each machine you use to build the .NET application which uses the NI TDMS .NET API. You do not need a license on every machine which runs executables built using the TDMS .NET API.

How do you currently handle builds? Do each of your developers build local copies of the application in order to test it? Will you have a dedicated build machine which produces the final release binaries? Do your developers develop simultaneously or do they all use Measurement Studio at different times?

NI offers a variety of licensing options, from buying each developer a single-seat or a Volume License that can be shared by multiple developers developing at different times (check out / in system), to buying a single compile-only license for a build machine, and more. You should talk with your sales rep to explore which options best suit your current needs.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,566 Views)

I am very sorry for my lack of knowledge but I am very new in this programming field. I am trying to connect an instrument using .dll file (cornerstone.dll) via labview programming( usb 2.0 port).  I am trying to develop a program using .NET framework and then with the help of invoke node & property node. So which drivers will I need for this and how should i proceed to develop the labview programming.

Any type of help is cordially appreciated.

thanks,

Abhijit

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,400 Views)

Hi Abhijit

Typically we try to keep forum posts associated with a particular issue. I would recommend searching our forums or other resources for information on how to tackle your issue, or if you cannot find a resource, starting a new Discussion Forum thread for your particular issue.

For starters, I would check this KnowledgeBase article or this tutorial on how to call DLLs using LabVIEW. If you are looking for a driver with integration into LabVIEW, you could check our Instrument Driver Network to see if there is a driver available for your device. If those resources don't answer your questions, again, feel free to search the forums for yourself or start your own discussion forum post.

Andy F.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,374 Views)