Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

InstallShield installation - Error 2705

Hi,

I am using the following setup:

Product: NI Measurement Studio 7.1
Installer: Installshield Professional 10.5 with SP1

When I try to include merge modules for Measurement Studio Winforms classes into my installation I see error 2705-Directory. For some setup configurations this was shortly followed by errors 2731.0 and/or 2732.0.  I have confirmed that the ProgramFilesFolder directory entry is present as per the advice in the Knowledgebase.

After some experimentation I have managed to discover the following:

1) The problem occurs for InstallScript MSI projects, but not for Basic MSI projects. However we need installscript functionality in order to install our application.

2) The problem can be reproduced using a very basic InstallScript MSI project. After creating the project, "NIMesaDLL" was selected from the redistributables panel window. This in turn caused it's "NI Installer Utilities" and  the "Microsoft C Runtime Library 6.0" to be selected. The release wizard was used to create an uncompressed setup, with both the MSI engine and the installscript engine extracted from setup.exe. The resulting setup program failed with error 2705

3) If the above setup is changed to be compressed, error 2732 can also be seen.

I would have given you the entire installation log, but I appear to be limited to 5000 characters. Here's the final section of the log, including both errors.

Property(S): SOURCEDIR = C:\DOCUME~1\wilchr\LOCALS~1\Temp\_is7D\
Property(S): SourcedirProduct = {E3F3FED7-8C26-4B1D-BC2F-3760D53E439B}
Property(S): ProductToBeRegistered = 1
=== Logging stopped: 20/07/2005  15:18:20 ===
MSI (s) (10:28): Note: 1: 1707
MSI (s) (10:28): Product: InstallGraphTest2 -- Installation operation completed successfully.

MSI (s) (10:28): Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any exist
MSI (s) (10:28): MainEngineThread is returning 0
MSI (c) (90:B0): Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (c) (90:B0): MainEngineThread is returning 0
=== Verbose logging stopped: 20/07/2005  15:18:20 ===

=== Verbose logging started: 20/07/2005  15:18:20  Build type: SHIP UNICODE 2.00.2600.1183  Calling process: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\Driver\1050\INTEL3~1\IDriver.exe ===
=== Logging started: 20/07/2005  15:18:20 ===
Action start 15:18:20: CostInitialize.
DEBUG: Error 2705:  Invalid table: Directory; Could not be linked as tree.
Internal Error 2705. Directory
Action ended 15:18:21: CostInitialize. Return value 3.
Action start 15:18:21: FileCost.
Action ended 15:18:21: FileCost. Return value 1.
Action start 15:18:21: CostFinalize.
DEBUG: Error 2732:  Directory Manager not initialized.
Internal Error 2732. 0
Action ended 15:18:22: CostFinalize. Return value 3.
=== Verbose logging stopped: 20/07/2005  15:18:23 ===

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 37
(20,842 Views)

Hello Chris,

Have you seen this knowledge base http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/59EDFCBE3B2CAD2786256F5C0073C0D6?OpenDocument which describes this kind of error?

Also, when creating this installer project, have you followed the guidelines set out in the 'Distributing Measurement Studio Applications' help topic in the help file.

If you can let me know how you get on with this information. Also, if this doesn't work, could you attach the installation log in a notepad file, then I can get this looked into further.

Hannah

NIUK & Ireland

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 37
(20,825 Views)
Hi Hannah,

I was aware of the article, and I can confirm that NiMetaUtils.msm is included as part of the setup. I hope I have follwed the guidelines properly, although it is always possible I have made an error.

I have attached the full log file.

Chris
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 37
(20,816 Views)
Hello,

This is an issue with how InstallShield does not prepopulate all the default installer directories.

This was noted in our help.  The 7.1 help topic was titled - "Distributing Measurement Studio .NET Applications" and is note 3 at the bottom:
"Any deployment project that contains the nimetautils.msm merge module must include a ProgramFilesFolder entry in the Directory Table. To include this entry in Visual Studio .NET, add a "Program Files Folder" as a Special Folder in the File System view of the deployment project."

You may also want to add the "System" folder to the list, just in case.  What is happening is that the metautils MSM is looking for something in the "ProgramFilesFolder" but the InstallShield installer is not automatically getting that property from Windows, and therefore you get the 2705 error.

Jeff
NI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 37
(20,807 Views)
No Jeff,

That is not the problem. Lines such as the following appear multiple times in the installation log:

MSI (s) (10:28): Dir (target): Key: ProgramFilesFolder	, Object: C:\Program Files\

regards,

Chris Williamson

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 37
(20,802 Views)
Chris,

Looking through you log posted it looks as though the InstallGraphTest2.msi completed successfully.  I do not know what installshield is trying to do after that but the 2705 error is coming from running something else.  Is there anyway you can zip up all your installer files an send them to me.

Regards,
Jeff
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 37
(20,786 Views)
The Installshield project has been sent, and should appear in your inbox shortly.

I'd agree that the installation appears to work. However displaying a mysterious error message every time the installation is run will not give customers a very good first impression of our software.

regards,

Chris Williamson
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 37
(20,782 Views)

I am experiencing the same problem. Has there been any further update to this problem?

Thanks.

Joe

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 37
(20,669 Views)
I am at a stalling point. 

At NI we only have InstallShield 9.0 as the latest version anybody uses and it will not load a 10.5 project.  I have not had any problems with the merge modules in question using Wise, Wix, Visual Studio, or our own internal build products (CVI and LabVIEW can build MSIs with these MSMs).  It also seems strange that a standard MSI project works but one with script doesn't.  Installshield script is specific to Installshield and we have not idea how they are using it inside an MSI.  Also the log that was posted shows that the installer succeeds tehn another installer fails (I am assuming the one with the InstallScript stuff in it).

If anyone can provide us with an Installshield 9.0 project that also displays this behavior then we could get a little further, but right now I am not able to debug this issue any further.

Jeff
NI
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 37
(20,644 Views)

any progress on this?  I am having the same problem with the 8.0 merge modules and have tried all suggestions.   Our installation process is at a standstill because of these errors.  i use installshield developer 8.

I do:

have nimetautils included

have all system and program files directories defined in the tables

I have tried every suggestion out there and cannot get the redistribution to work.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 37
(19,967 Views)