Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error using the InstrumentControlStrip

Hi

I have an VS2005 application using Measurement Studio 8.1 in which I have a couple of WaveformGraphs.

I am using a InstrumentControlStrip to contain a number of property editors so that I can modify various graph properties at runtime.

When I try and delete particular ToolStripPropertyEditors I get the error shown in the attached image and I have to restart VS2005. The only way of getting round it is to delete the whole InstrumentControlStrip and start again.

Any suggestions?

P.S. When using horizontal overflow with the InstrumentControlStrip is there any way of controlling the overflow width so that I can maintain correct formatting. When viewing the overflow section in the IDE it shows the correct formatting, but at runtime, some of the labels and property editors get misaligned. This also occurs in the InstrumentControlStrip Features.2005 example provided by NI with 8.1
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,670 Views)

We did not see an attached image to your original post. Please could you attach the image again so that we can see the error and investigate the problem?

Regarding your second issue about aligning controls in the overflow, the ToolStrip base class (from which the Instrument Control Strip derives) has hard-coded the layout of controls in the overflow to a flow layout. This basically means that you have very little influence over how the controls in the overflow are aligned. I have not tested this but you might be able to set the width and height of the overflow to work around this limitation.

Abhishek Ghuwalewala | Measurement Studio | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,663 Views)
error dialogue is attached hopefully now
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,650 Views)

I have not been able to reproduce the problem you are having. I tried deleting individual ToolStripPropertyEditor objects inside the InstrumentControlStrip at design-time by right clicking on the object and selecting Delete from the menu. I also used the Delete keyboard key to delete items and did not get any errors. I tried this with the Enterprise edition of Measurement Studio.

Please could you give us more information about your particular scenario, such as which edition of Measurement Studio 8.1 you have installed. I would also like to know if the ToolStripPropertyEditor objects have the Source property set before attempting to delete them. If so, what is the Source? Is it properties of other Measurement Studio controls or .NET Framework controls? What version of Visual Studio 2005 are you using (Standard, Professional, Enterprise, Express)? Do you have Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 installed? If you can think of any other relevant information that might help us in reproducing the problem please can you provide that here.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,646 Views)
Hi Abhishek

I created a InstrumentControlStrip and added a number of labels and ToolStripPropertyEditor controls. By trying a number of things I have determined that what causes the crash is when I try to delete an item in the drop down overflow section of the InstrumentControlStrip. It doesnt matter whether this is a label or a ToolStripPropertyEditor or a button.

To replicate it, add a sufficient number of controls to the InstrumentControlStrip until you have overflow, then try deleting one of the controls from the overflow section.

I use VS2005 (do not have SP1 installed yet - just downloaded it today) and am using Measurement Studio 8.1 Professional Edition

Cheers

Adam

Message Edited by adamhb on 12-19-2006 11:17 AM

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,643 Views)
Strangely, I have not been able to reproduce the behavior even when the controls are in the overflow drop down of the InstrumentControlStrip. I have also tried putting other .NET Framework controls in the overflow and deleting them and did not see the behavior then either. Could you try to reporduce this behavior using the ToolStrip control instead of the InstrumentControlStrip control?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,638 Views)
Just tried it using a ToolStrip control and yes, still getting the same crash.

Created a new project and tried to replicate the behaviour and no crash.

Looks like a VS2005 bug as opposed to Measurement studio and also specific to the particular project.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,634 Views)