Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Retrieving Dependency MStudioDAQmx.2010.msm * URGENT

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a Visual Studio 2012 solution, targeting .NET 4.0 with an InstallShield 2015 setup project. There are two projects in the solution that contain references to :

NationalInstruments.DAQmx 15.5.40.109 and

NationalInstruments.Common 15.1.40.49152

These are the DLL's contained in the "current" folder for the DAQMX 15.5 download.

When attempting to build the installer I get two errors from Installshield

-4072: Error retrieving dependency Module_Id_Common_2010_32:1033 of c:\program files (x86)\common files\merge modules\MStudioDAQmx.2010.msm

-4072: Error retrieving dependency Module_Id_Common_2010_32:1033 of c:\program files (x86)\common files\merge modules\MStudioDAQmx.2010.msm

I presume this is one error per project.

I urgently need to deploy an updated installation and I'm completely stuck at this point. I have tried adding these prerequisites by explicitly browsing to the MSM file (since there are two or three prerequisites showing all with the same general name and no way to tell them apart) and it hasn't helped. I've searched my entire PC for this MSM file and it only appears in the directory noted in the error message, so it's not any kind of mismatch between different versions in different folders. 

I actually didn't WANT to bundle the DAQ installer (we manually install the runtime anyway) but I can't seem to find a way to prevent the system from detecting it and wanting to bundle it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,486 Views)

Hi DaveT12,

If you have the ability to use the MeasurementStudio Installer Builder, it could be a useful tool to use instead of InstallShield.

Otherwise, the error code seems to be an InstallShield error, so you may have better luck finding support from their resources.

Andy F.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,471 Views)

Hi DaveT12,

In a general sense, InstallShield is not a supported method of building and distributing NI applications. That doesn't mean that you can't get it to work, but just that NI doesn't maintain resources on InstallShield and we don't really have any resources or training on InstallShield outside of what is publically available. You have other options, though. If you are using Measurement Studio 2015, you can use Measurement Studio Installer builder as mentioned by ANDROID. If you are using an older version, or if you're not using Measurement Studio, you can use Wix or setup projects depending on the version of Visual Studio you are working in. The following document discusses your alternatives and links to additional information on each method:

Can I Create an Installer for My Measurement Studio Program Using InstallShield?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/93740EC507B657D886257FA10078681B

Those errors also appear to be fairly common InstallShield erorrs based on some googling. You may be able to troubleshoot the errors generically as InstallShield errors by following the steps for resolving this error for non-NI products.

Regards,
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,431 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DaveT12

The problem is two-folder:

1. The issue does NOT happen on the 15.1 DAQmx it only happens on 15.5 ; if the project is built with 15.1 DAQmx installed the dependency scan works perfectly and the project builds

2. Because of #1, InstallShield points at NI's modules saying "DAQmx isn't an InstallShield module, and since it only failed after you updated their module you need to contact the module vendor"

I worked around the problem myself by expressly adding excludes for DAQ in the Installshield include/exclude XML files so that the dependency scanner would not run against the DAQmx 15.5 DLL's and then manually including the two required DLL's in my project.

Message 4 of 4
(4,396 Views)