From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can NI-VISA work with VB Express 2005?

All,

I am trying to use NI-VISA 4.1 with a USBTMC device and VB Express 2005.  I have made several attempts and can not get it done.  Did NI create examples that show how to use NI-VISA 4.x with VB Express 2005 or C# Express 2005? Are there any other vendors that have a VISA that can do it at this time?

Thank you,

Andy
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,866 Views)
Try the Measurement Studio install folder "MeasurementStudio200X\DOTNET\VISA"
*The best Chinese farmer*
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,858 Views)
Andy,

Once you've installed NI-VISA, you can access the documentation at Start » All Programs » National Instruments » VISA » Documentation.  As far as VB Express goes, it's not an officially supported platform, so we can't guarantee any of those functions will work with VB Express.
Chad B. » National Instruments » ni.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,840 Views)

Hi Andy,

Actually the Visual Studio Express Editions are a supported IDE and the VISA .NET API should work and function the same in this environment.

When you install the NI VISA driver, you need to make sure and select .NET Framework 2.0 Support which will install the .NET documentation, examples and the needed .NET assemblies. These examples, assemblies and the documentation are the exact same components that are installed with the full version of Visual Studio.

If you select
Start » All Programs » National Instruments » VISA » Documentation » NI-VISA .NET Framework 2.0 Help, this will launch the documentation. Now, you will see references to Measurement Studio even though you might not have Measurement Studio installed. If filter by "Measurement Studio .NET Class Libraries" and then navigate to NI Measurement Studio Help » Measurement Studio System Requirements, you will see that the Express Editions are listed. These requirements apply to the .NET support we have for our VISA driver.

Also in the start menu under VISA, you will see a link to Examples. These examples will open in the VB Express Edition and run fine. If you encounter problems, please let us know. You can also find where the examples are located by checking out the Where to Find Examples help topic found in that .NET documentation.

Best Regards,

Jonathan N.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,832 Views)
All,

Thank you for the wonderful support.  I was able to get it to work.  See internal Service Request Number #1027123 for customer support.  Issue was that NI-VISA 4.2 Installer did not see install versions of VB .NET or C# .NET 2005 Express.  Once, I  went into Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, I  was able to get the "DotNET2.0" example folder to appear Start>Programs>National Instruments>VISA>Examples by just modifying NI-VISA 4.2 > Development Support and adding ".NET  Framework 2.0 Languages Support".  The article called "VISA and GPIB Application Developmnet Using C# or VB.NET" covered the principle for VS 2003. 

Thank you,
Andy
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,829 Views)