Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About the capacity of Measurement Studio

Dear Measurement Studio developers

I've got a software oscilloscope using the waveform graph component.
The graph typically has to entirely display 10 seconds of sample data acquired with 50 kHz.
Doing this, it seems to become the bottleneck of the system, not being able to plot the data in real time.

One has to play around with the configuration properties:
  • Appending data above the history capacity thwarts the application. The attached example runs 9 times slower on my computer in that case. Robot surprised
  • Displaying a big amount of data at once on the screen has its limits. The ranges have to be set accordingly. Appending many values to a plot with a huge capacity is no problem as long as only a small portion is displayed.
I already mentioned the attached example derived from an example bundled with the Measurement Studio software.
When the exposed button on the form is clicked, it appends 1000 times 500 values to the plot, just as much as the plot can hold. This will fill half of the window with white noise.
You can click once again in order to clear the left side and fill the right side of the window with noise. But this time, you are supposed to wait much longer!

I would appreciate it if there existed some "best practices" and similar guidelines and tips available from you who know Measurement Studio from the inside.
It is a tedious process fiddling around with examples in order to find the system's capacity and other limitations. 

I also invite other developers to share their experiences in form of technical consideration notes at this place. Robot wink

Btw, I'm using version 8.0 with VS2005.

Message Edited by Marrocco on 06-09-2006 09:15 AM

Christian
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,596 Views)
Hi there
I've altered the example and made an additional observation:
  • Plotting a huge amount of data seems to result in exponentially increasing performance loss. Robot Mad
Please have a look at the attached example for comprehension.
When appending several times big arrays of data of equal sizes to the plot, the time to draw it increases above average.
It seems like the whole plot is drawn everytime one appends to it.

What are the work arounds for this behavior? Or is it even possible to improve the drawing libraries?

Message Edited by Marrocco on 06-16-2006 04:10 AM

Christian
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,551 Views)
Measurement Studio ships with a help topic called "Optimizing Measurement Studio Graph .NET Controls". In the topic it points out specific ways to optimize the graph controls. You can find it by opening up the help in Start>>Measurement Studio 8.0 for Visual Studio .NET 2003>>Measurement Studio Documentation. Then browse to the topic NI Measurement Studio .NET Class Library >>Using the Measurement Studio Windows Forms .NET Controls >> Using the Measurement Studio Graph .NET Controls >> Optimizing Measurement Studio Graph .NET Controls. See if any of the ideas presented helps your situation.

Brock
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,534 Views)
Thank you for the reference, Brock.

Unfortunately, my scenario cannot meet the key optimization requirement: I have to append the data in coincidence with a big HistoryCapacity.

I wonder about whether this should not be a common scenario that you guys already dealt with long ago.
Let's face the challenge Smiley Mad
Christian
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,512 Views)
National Instruments support (Europe) recommended to use the ActiveX controls for such tasks.

I tried them, and the graph is reasonably fast.Robot tongue

Then again, if you have used the top of the art .NET components of Measurement Studio 8.0, you simply don't want to switch back to a phasing out technology (IMO).
For us, it is simply impossible.

But perhaps it may be the solution for some other developers out there.
Note that you have to purchase at least the professional version.

Message Edited by Marrocco on 06-26-2006 02:50 AM

Christian
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,471 Views)