From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measurement Studio for .NET Languages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4072 DMM Capacitance out of range yields -inf or NaN

Anyone,

I'm trying to read capacitance from our NI-4072, but if the value is out of the range limit (as confirmed by using the softpanel interface), the data returned is either NaN or -inf.  If someone knows how to change the Range setting to 1nF or other than 300pF, I believe my problem would be fixed.  The documentation specifically states the Auto-Range feature is NOT supported for capacitance, so that's no help.

I've also performed the open cable compensations: 

dmmSession.CapacitanceAndInductance.CableCompensationType = DmmCableCompensationType.Open;
    dmmSession.CapacitanceAndInductance.PerformOpenCableCompensation( out x, out y );

but get the same data when reading the measurements.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,898 Views)

Hello,

What environment are you programming in?

-Jayk

RF R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,867 Views)

I'm using C# in VS 2010.  Project is built to framework 4.0

and the NI driver version 14.0

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,853 Views)

Have you been able to look at any of the shipping examples for how they are configured?

RF R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,774 Views)

I've copied fro the example in DMM projects which measures capacitance, and I appear to be able to change the "CapacitanceRange" value by calling the Configure method (twice, as the value does not change the first time, bug?).

I've brought the range up to 0.0001 and still can only read Infinity.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,755 Views)

Hi, spomilio

Can you post a snippet that represents how you are configuring your measurement? Do you see the issue where you have to call the Configure method twice in all places that you use it, or only when configuring the capacitance range?

Thanks,

Daniel Dorroh
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,514 Views)