From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measure

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"NI Device Loader" isn't starting automatically

Hi,

as the title suggests, the service NI Device Loader is not starting automatically on my machine.

I tried to change it to both "Automatic" and "Automatic (Delayed Start)" startup type in the options, added "Restart the service" for all the failures in the "Recovery" tab, to no avail: after the restart the service goes back to "Manual" startup type and is not started. 

A lot of other NI services also change to Manual despite the fact that I set them all to automatic before restart. Here is a screenshot of the services after restart:

Services after Restart Capture.PNG

I fully reinstalled LabView (by first uninstalling all NI software, deleting C:\Program files\National Instruments and C:\Program files(x86)\National Instruments and C:\Programdata\National Instruments, and deleting all Software\National Instruments in regedit), but still no luck.

I went through all the posts on this forum about "NI Device Loader' not starting but none helped.

I wonder what diagnostic steps I could take to find out what causes the issue.

Thanks iin advance for any pointers!

P.S. I am running LabView 2012. Tried different versions of MAX (currently on 5.5) with the same result.

MAX Capture.PNG

PPS. This might also be relevant: getting this error with DataFinder not being able to start, though, again, all the posts dealing with this issue did not help:

DataFinder Error Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(8,828 Views)

For the latter one: Your NI PSP Service Locator service should have the startup type "Automatic".

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(8,800 Views)

@StefanR wrote:

For the latter one: Your NI PSP Service Locator service should have the startup type "Automatic".

I know... It goes back to Manual after restart, like the rest of NI services in the screenshot... Something else is preventing the automatic start of these services, but what it could be I have no idea...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(8,795 Views)

Hi SensLabs,

Could you check this forum and see if the suggestion given by DianaS helps? 

Service NI Device Loader isn't starting automatically - Discussion Forums
http://forums.ni.com/t5/Measure/Service-NI-Device-Loader-isn-t-starting-automatically/m-p/551763

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(8,792 Views)

@wfernand wrote:

Hi SensLabs,

Could you check this forum and see if the suggestion given by DianaS helps? 

Yes, sure, I tried it several times and each time my list of NI services gors back to Manual, as in the screenshot.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(8,778 Views)

From MSDN:

To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Account Operators group, the Domain Admins group, the Enterprise Admins group, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority. As a security best practice, consider using Run as to perform this procedure.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755249.aspx

(this procedure = configure how a service is started)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(8,764 Views)

@StefanR wrote:

From MSDN:

To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Account Operators group, the Domain Admins group, the Enterprise Admins group, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority. As a security best practice, consider using Run as to perform this procedure.

Well, I am the administrator on this machine, I don't think this is the issue, unless I misunderstood what is meant by this note. If I weren't the admin, Windows wouldn't even let me change the startup type. Instead it lets me do it but then resets it as soon as I restart.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(8,762 Views)

Even you being the admin, you have to chose "run as admin..." to execute the application as admin to change the service start option .....

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(8,713 Views)

@StefanR wrote:

Even you being the admin, you have to chose "run as admin..." to execute the application as admin to change the service start option .....

Yes, I've done this. I also done this running command prompt as an admin and changing the startup type using command line...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(8,710 Views)