Measure

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Executable software works on Dell desktop but not on a Dell Laptop

Running CalBay XY Plotter software with NI cDAQ-9171/NI 9215 analog input module.  Loaded the NI-DAQmx 9.4 and read the device in MAX with a test panel.  Closed MAX and loaded software per instructions with the device attached.  Worked fine on the desktop but have tried 3 laptops to no avail.  Reads fine in MAX test panel but no signal in the software.  Inspiron 6000, Precision M50 and M60 are the laptops.  All computers running XP.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,776 Views)

Hey Growley,

When you transfer the executable over to the laptops, do you create an intsaller to make sure certain items like the Run-Time Engine and DAQmx drivers are installed on the laptop?  If so, are there any errors that pop up when trying to run the program and collect data through the software (does the program run at all) or does the signal just appear to not show up?  More details of what you are seeing can help narrow down the issue.  Also, you mention they are all XP, I just wanted to check and make sure they are all XP 32-bit?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,771 Views)

Eric,

Been busy with different computers but have been unsuccessful with those 3 company laptops.  Had success with an HP6910 and Toshiba L735 both with Win7.  Also with a Dell D630 Latitude and an older Gateway with XP.  Basic install is to load NI DAQmx 9.4, reboot, plug in the NI cDAQ-9171/NI 9215 to the USB and load the CalBay XY Plotter software exe.  Worked with no additional steps with all other laptops.  Signal is displayed on the screen as a cursor until the "Pen Down" command is pressed in the SW and a trace is displayed.  On the 3 company laptops, in the  XY mode, the cursor just sits in the middle and in the X-versus-time or Y-versus-time no cursor is even displayed.  There are no errors with the installer or running the software.  thought it was USB problem but that doesn't explain the device working fine in MAX.

Any suggestions?/

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,755 Views)

Hey Growley,

Initially I thought you were using LabVIEW software to interact with the device, but looking at it now, it appears you are using the CalBay software to create the executable.  If you can see the cDAQ chassis and module just fine in MAX on the computers, then I don't believe the issue has to do with NI products, and we don't have the supported expertise on CalBay products to narrow down the problem.  One thing you can try if you are not currently operating it in this fashion is running the software while MAX is closed.  It's possible that MAX has the device reserved and is not allowing the executable to have access to it.

Best of Luck,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,749 Views)

Eric,

Tried it with MAX open and closed.  It did not matter on the other computers.  The 3 dell laptops are not playing well with the CalBay .exe.  Checked the the USB drivers and are the exactly the the same as the desktop it works fine on.  CalBay just not alot of  help with the developer across the pond and several hours time difference.  If I had the source code it should be easy enough to troubleshoot.  Guess that is what I get buying the turnkey instead of doing it myself.  Thanks for the response, I have to talk the DON IT dept here to try for a newer computer.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,743 Views)