Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

two-USB camera identification

Hi,

I just figured out a solution for Thorlabs camera. For future reference I'll state the solution in this thread.

1. Install camera driver 

2. Plug both camera in

3. Launch uc480 Camera Manager (part of manufacturer's driver), allocate different camera IDs for each camera.

4. Reinstall camera driver, in the middle you need to use "add device" or "remove device" function to select the right number of cameras.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(1,837 Views)

Hi,

I am also trying to capture video from 2 throlab usb cameras. I manged to give the two cameras different IDs but some how it fails me in labview.

Do you initiate each camera seperatly and capture seperatly ?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(1,818 Views)

This was very helpful.  I had exactly the same problem and with the same Thor cameras.  Yang's receipe worked perfectly.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(1,765 Views)

JYang, could you please comment on the point 4? How did you reinstall camera drivers and what do you mean by saying "in the middle"? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(1,687 Views)

I'm sorry that my point 4 caused confusion.

In point 4 I mentioned earlier, there's one step during driver installation where you can choose how many devices the driver will support. The default is one camera I think. You should match it with the actual number of cameras using "add device" or "remove device" button. This is pretty obvioous since it's the only step during the whole installation process where you can select something manually other than just press "next" button.

Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(1,680 Views)

I found a solution and no driver re-installation is required. Namely, when you go to 'Start menu' and Thorlabs folder->DCx camera->Directshow device manager you can then add or remove the camera. By default there is only one camera but you can easily add another one. Moreover, since this manager is registering the camera in Windows DLL registry there can be problem with access allowance (I got error code 0x80070005). You will need to run it as administrator, but still I had some problems with it... Finally as a solution you can run it from command prompt: type cmd in search window of Start Menu, right-click it and run as admin. Next you should go to the path of the uc480 directshow device manager and register the driver (in my case c:\windows\sysWOW64>regsvr32.exe uc480Capture.ax). This will register the driver and from now on I can see two cameras in MAX 🙂

If someone have any questions I can help. 

Message 16 of 17
(1,665 Views)

Hello,

Is there a way to start the uc480viewer with an argument like --cameraID=2 from the command line in order to avoid the popup letting you choose?

Best regards,

JW 

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(1,626 Views)