Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suboptimal frame rate from NI grabber

Dear forum members,

I am using a frame grabber NI PCIe-1433 together with Basler acA2040-180km. Theoretical frame rate for the camera is 180 FPS, where the theoretical data flow of the frame grabber is 850 MB/s.

I am aiming at (1024x1024) pixel/frame * 8 bits/pixel * 100 frame/second =~ 104.86 MB/second

When I try the given C example with the IMAQ driver of LLGrab.c, it calculates a frame rate of ~22 frames per second. I reach similar value while running the camera through MatLab's Image Acquisition toolbox.
Under the C driver the IMG_ATTR_MAX_FRAME_RATE or IMG_ATTR_FRAME_RATE are not available properties for that frame grabber.
Under NI MAX I get at the lower right corner:
Frames per second: 22,22(displayer, acquired)

So it looks like it is not transition problem from the card to the computer, but somehow the configuration is wrong for the image acquisition from the frame grabber.
I use the default file for the frame grabber, where I only substitute the dimension attributes.
Any idea of how can I increase the frame rate or how to control that value will be very helpful.

Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
go9kata

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,606 Views)

I will guess that your exposure time is more than 10 msec.  This makes the frame rate slow down.  For initial testing, set a very short exposure time, then once you have the rate you want you can increase the exposure time.

Bruce

Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,603 Views)
Thank you for the first reply and remark. I forgot to mention that important detail. When the exposure time is changed to 10, 5, 1, 0.5 or 0.1 it doesn't affect the above mentioned frames per second measurement.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,595 Views)
Have you tried looking at the camera settings configured in Pylon? There are many different features that are interrelated with the frame rate and could cause it to go slower.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,590 Views)

So installing the Pylon software did not help much, because it detects the camera but can not grab image because of a weired error. After speaking with someone from Basler, the advice was to put the TAB configuration to maximum (10) and the pixel clock to 82 MHz. I check the configuration files available for Basler acA2040-180km on:

ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/imaq/camera_support/camera_files/digital/basler/

There I can find a file dated from 2012, with NumCameraTaps set to 10. Unfortunately that file can not be used throwind an error 0xBFF6001F "Es kann keine Video-Quelle gefunden werden."

With the installation of the IMAQ I got another file for the same camera model under the name: Basler acA2040-180km (Base). With that file I am able to run the camera but the NumCameraTaps is set to 2. 

So I guess the slow frame rate might be due to non optimal pixel read out. Any discussions or suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,551 Views)

To add something ... at the moment the camra is connected to the frame grabber with only one MDR to SDR cable. If I need to use a higher TAB value in the case of 10, do I need to connect the second port on the Basler camera:

both camera link cables together like:

camera B -> 0 frame grabber

camera F -> 1 frame grabber

can this be the "device not detected" error from the camera file with higher TAB?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,548 Views)

I would assume you need to have both cables connected to get the highest possible frame rate.  It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Bruce

Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,538 Views)