Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

save image fast

Hi, I am using a Basler l104k line scan camera and NI pcie-1427 frame grabber. I want to save my images continuously and each image is 10 bit * 2048 *256 *256.  I am using IMAQ write file to save it into PNG file and it takes about 10 seconds to save one image. Is there any faster way to save these images? Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,850 Views)

Hi scoccer,

I am not sure if you can store images very quickly, it would depend on the size of the image. Instead what you could do is capture the images and write thenm to a avi file(which is quick) and do post processing on the avi file. But since your image is a 10bit image you would have to cast the image to a 8bit image using IMAQ cast image and then write it to avi.

There are some examples in LabVIEW demonstrating the same. Names of the examples go like "sequence and save....vi" and "grab and save to .....vi"

Thanks,
Sandeep
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,835 Views)

When you use the IMAQ cast image function to cast the 10bit image into an 8bit image, do you lose data in the process?  I found and example program that used this function and the notes indicated they were choosing the "most significant" data to go from 10bit to 8bit.  If data is being discarded, how does the program choose which data is discarded?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,199 Views)

Hello,

how about saving as raw binary data. This should be fast.

Best regards,

K

https://decibel.ni.com/content/blogs/kl3m3n

"Kudos: Users may give one another Kudos on the forums for posts that they found particularly helpful or insightful."
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,189 Views)

@becjacks231 wrote:

When you use the IMAQ cast image function to cast the 10bit image into an 8bit image, do you lose data in the process?  [...]  If data is being discarded, how does the program choose which data is discarded?

You can control the behaviour by specifying the number of shifts, see parameter "# Shifts" in the specification of IMAQ Cast Image. In your case, a "shift value" of 2 would keep the 8 most significant bits.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,162 Views)

Hello everyone, 

I have a problem saving contiuous acquisition in MAX. Actually I'm new in this and havn't has much of experience. I'm using IMAQdx and IEEE 1394 (fire wire), and my quesion is can I save 2 capture in MAX or a AVI movie or do I need to use Lab View? 

I have red many frumes but unfortunately I couldn't come up with a single routin. The only option MAX in IMAQdx gives me is to same a single image at a time as far as I know. 

Thank you for your help

Kia

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,936 Views)