Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

photogrammetry

I am using Labview in solving a photogrammetry problem wherein I am applying stereo vision and 3-D imaging techniques to create a 3rd dimension (there are a couple examples in Labview that describes this).  I have been successful in creating a digital elevation model (DEM).

I am trying to improve my process by adding some automation on both sides of the photogrammatic processing.  So, I am asking two questions:

First and most important,  I am trying to generate a 3-D relief image from the ortho image and the DEM.  I have third party software that will do this (in one 3rd party example, this relief image is called a hillshade image).  But,  I don't want to manually call these 3rd party tools, generate the hillshade, and then go back to my Labview program.  So,  can anyone suggest an algorithm to develop this image, or, better yet, know of a photogrammetry Library or DLL package with these tools built in  that can be interfaced with Labview ?

The second question: to complete the DEM process the two images must first be spatially rectified.  I am trying to do this automatically. I came up with one process that does an edge detection in the two images and then does a best match positioning --- it works but it is very slow.  A photogrammatic library may have this capability but, does any one have a simply way to do this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,386 Views)

Hey there. To answer your first question, if your third party software can be automated to generate the hillshade, you can use a command line call to call the software with the proper flags and settings to automate the process. You can use the System Exec vi to do this.

As for your second question, I don't have much knowledge about spatial rectification so I can't help you there. Sorry.

Daniel C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,362 Views)

Thanks for your thoughts.  I tried that but can not find a way to enter into that particular 3rd party program in that way. There are a few more of those 3rd party programs that will generate this hillshade (or by other names).  That may be the last resort if a more elegant soluiton can not be found.  I am holding out hope that a library package can be found. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,359 Views)