Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to turn off the camera using IMAQ API?

Hello,

We are using a Basler acA2000-340km camera.  Also we have a separate power adapter for the camera and PoCL is off.

We noticed when closing NI MAX that the camera power is automatically turned off on the camera.  How is that done?  Is that functionality built into the camera files or is it embedded in MAX?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,217 Views)

Hi Brianbat, 

How are you determining the camera power is off? do both the red and green LEDs turn off? I believe that the green LED shows a communication link as well as power, and if either is not present it is not illuminated. Since MAX is closed it is expected to have no communication with the camera, I believe this is what you are seeing. 

-N

National Instruments
Staff Certification Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,199 Views)

Hi,

I have a similar problem. I have the same camera and would like to programtically turn it off via the IMAQ driver and the camera link interface. Is there a way to programmatically turn off the camera from the host computer?

Xian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,041 Views)

Hello Xian,

As far as I am aware, there isn't a way to programatically turn off your camera using NI-IMAQ. If your framegrabber has Digital I/O, you could use a relay to cut power to the camera considering you are using an external power supply.

Regards,

Ian K.
Software Developer
Data Ahead AG
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,023 Views)

I understand that PCIe1433 PCI powers the camera through PoCL. So, it should be possible to turn on/off the camera through the Camera Link cable. Is my understanding correct?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,991 Views)

The 1433 does power the camera (if supported) via PoCL. There is a field in the camera file that indicates if the framegrabber should enable the PoCL circuit. However, past that, the state machine runs completely in hardware and all that is available is monitoring the status. You cannot toggle the power at run-time.

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,983 Views)