From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

colour to grey scale and crack detection

Solved!
Go to solution
how to convert a colour image to grey scale. also i want to know how to detect the cracks in the objects from their images
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(5,132 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author saillesh

There are 3 planes involved in a color image. Each plane having values 0-255. By extracting any single plane you can convert the image to a grey scale one.

Try extracting the luminance plane (in color plane extraction).

Use vision assistant initially to get an idea.....

Message 2 of 15
(5,120 Views)

how to detect the cracks in the objects from their images

If the crack in really nicely different from the object then applying a proper threshold and removing small particles and going with a particle analysis will be enough.

But we need details.If you can post some images then I can suggest you a method

Message 3 of 15
(5,120 Views)
Use the vision assistant to start with ,as it will help you extract the colour planes and (also gives an option to convert your image to a grey image) as well as it will help you learn about other vision utilities which labVIEW offers . You can detect the cracks or edges by setting proper thresholds . Please describe your application in a little detail so that I can help you with a more precise solution.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(5,114 Views)

Saillesh,

What muks suggested is a very practical approach. I personally implemented it with object filtering to detect cracks in an online ceramic plates inspection.

Waleed El-Badry MSc.,MCPD, ISTQB Certified Tester
Assistant Lecturer
Mechatronics Department
Faculty of Engineering
Misr University for Science & Technology

View Waleed El-Badry's profile on LinkedIn

Message 5 of 15
(5,112 Views)

to convert a color image to gray scale you can average all three planes or you use different weights for the color planes. Typical weights are

30% red + 59% green + 11% blue

See also http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=422864#M422864

Message Edited by Jörn on 2009-08-12 12.08.2009 11:48 PM
Message 6 of 15
(5,099 Views)
i wan to detect the cracks in tracks of train .can i use fft for this . if any other soluion please help me
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(5,038 Views)
i have to inspect cracks in the train  tracks . is your method of object filtering is suitable for that ?.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(5,037 Views)
Well posting a few sample images will do a lot of help. I mean there is no other way  we can suggest algorithms to use. We can only keep guessing.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(5,035 Views)

im posting my pictures here  (with and without cracks),could u help me with the algorithms.i have taken fft for this, is there any option to get the strength of fft to compare the images?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,977 Views)