Machine Vision

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vision Application Builder - Distortion Model Calibration - Step 4 Extract Grid Features

My Vision Application Builder seems to have a problem when I try to calibration distortion out of a camera.

I'm running through the NI Calibration Training Interface in order to create a Distortion Calibration file but when I get to

Step 4 - Extract Grid Features the window hangs (Not Responding) then the panel changes from the drop downs

"Look For" 

"Method"

to

"Colour Mode"

"Hue"

"Saturation" 

"Luminance".

Screen captures attached. This is never enough to allow me to progress to the next stage of the calibration.

Can anyone help me fix this issue?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,990 Views)

What version of NI Vision Application Builder are you using? I can try and find any bugs that might be known with particular versions. 

Has this always happened when trying to use the program? 

It might also be good to know what version of LabVIEW and the OS you're using. 

Thanks!

Daniel Parrott
Software Product Marketing - Data Management & LabVIEW
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,964 Views)

Hi Da_Parrot,

this problem has always happened. Last week I was on the 2011 version with 2012 Labview now I'm on 2014 with 2015 Labview. I have Windows 7.

Thanks for replying!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,953 Views)

If you open the calibration trainer from the start menu, rather than from Vision Builder, do you see the same behavior?  You can find it in the start menu under All Programs>>National Instruments>>Vision>>Utilities>>Calibration Trainer...

Cody A.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,926 Views)

Hi tAkinscareofbusiness, yes I see the same behaviour running the Calibration Trainer as you suggest... does this information help you dignose the issue?

Thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,900 Views)

Have you seen this behavior on multiple computers running the same version of VBAI?  We need to narrow down whether this is computer specific (in which case it may be a PC-related issue) or if it is shared across multiple machines (in which case it may be some corruption in your installer media).

Cody A.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,888 Views)

Hi,

Not sure why it takes so long as you describe to switch to the correct threshold parameters. I am assuming that the grid image is color.

You need to change the threshold parameters so that the dots are all blue in order for the dots to be segmented properly and the calibration to be accurate.

Would you mind saving and attaching your dot grid image? I can take a closer look at what the problem is.

Thanks.

Christophe

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,879 Views)

Same problem my VBAI2013, Win7.

Acquire or Simulate Image -> Create Calibration -> Distortion Model (Grid) -> Select Image -> Extract Grid Features (step 4).

Pressing Next button has no effect, Ok Button is dimmed.

Switching back to step 3 and entering step 4 again -> Ok Button is released. Pressing Ok Button results in the error message "An error occured while calibrating the image."

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,599 Views)

I had to hand it over to our IT guy, I think there was a corrupt file somewhere. He stripped out all my NI installed programs and reinstalled them overnight.

Since then it's worked fine.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,588 Views)

Hi Favoritas,

thanks for the information.

I have just installed VBAI2013 in evaluation mode on a new pc, no additional National software. Same problem. But when I convert the grid-image to a 8Bit-B&W-Bitmap it's working, including the three check-boxes "Valid dot area" etc., which have no function on a RGB-Image.

Maybe distortion model calibration is not working with RGB-Grid-Images on (my) VBAI2013.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,573 Views)