Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VDM 2014 support 64 bit .net API?

Will VDM 2014 support 64 bit .net API?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,458 Views)

Hi Nemith,

I am sorry to inform you that we do not currently have that planned for VDM 2014

Paolo F.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,441 Views)

Hello Paolo,

You could more specific write on May, that NI do nothing about .NET for years. I was waiting 64-bit API, too. But than i find out that NI   not supporting .NET anymore.

This decision was not decided in one day, ergo somebody knew that in May.

As i wrote on 08.28.2014:

NI Vision 2014 and .NET

NI released NI Vision 2014 (or parts of it).

I use just NI Vision for .NET. We've spent a lot of time until we learn it. But as i bad joke (or may i say, "irresponsibility of NI") , i read in:

"NI Vision Acquisition Software .NET Support

NI Vision Acquisition Software February 2014 was the last version to release updated support for the .NET Framework 2.0, .NET Framework 3.5, and .NET language integration into Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2008. Visual Studio 2010 and later are not supported.

New versions of NI Vision Acquisition Software will not provide new .NET feature support or development. It is recommended that you begin new development in other supported development environments."

and

" NI Vision Development Module .NET Support

NI Vision Development Module 2013 SP1 was the last version to release updated support for the .NET Framework 2.0, .NET Framework 3.5, and .NET language integration into Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2008. Visual Studio 2010 and later are not supported.

New versions of NI Vision Development Module will not provide new .NET feature support or development. It is recommended that you begin new development in other supported development environments."

Ok. after my experiences with NI Vision in 2 years, was i not a big fun of NI Vision anymore. But as said before, we have spent time and money for it.

there is no remarks or warning in "NI Vision Acquisition Software Release Notes February 2014" and "NI Vision Development Module 2013 SP1 Readme" , that NI will not provide new .NET features after these releases.

What is wrong with NI?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,043 Views)

Hi desalando,

I am sorry for the situation you are now placed in due to the decision to stop releasing updated .NET support. However, I would like to clarify the statements that you have quoted in the readme in case it might not be entirely clear what will continue to work with .NET and what will no longer work.

You are correct that new features to .NET support will not be included in future releases of NI Vision products. At present, we are continuing to include .NET support in a frozen state - i.e. in the same state it was in as of the 2013 SP1 timeframe. However, since the existing .NET functionality calls into the CVI/C NI Vision libraries, any changes or improvements to existing Vision functions that we implement for CVI/C will automatically be reflected in the existing .NET support. Thus, the applications you have already developed with NI Vision in .NET will still work in the latest release of NI Vision software. 

One option for you to consider would be to create your own .NET wrappers which can call into the CVI/C NI Vision library. We are working on providing feature parity between LabVIEW and the CVI/C offering, as discussed in this thread. Once this occurs, you will have complete access to the same functions that are offered in LabVIEW by calling into the CVI/C library that we provide. Unfortunately, at present we do not plan on providing any examples for this so you would have to investigate this option on your own.

Please do let me know if you have additional questions or comments. If it would facilitate the discussion, feel free to send me a PM and we can arrange a time to discuss this matter further over the phone with your account representative as well.

Regards,

Joseph S

NI Vision Product Support Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,985 Views)

Another BIG issue is that NI will not be fixing bugs in the current VDM 32 bit .net API!!!

I've found 2x memory leaks in the PatternMatch and OCR functions/methods. I've been told that the .net API bugs will not be fixed and I should create a .net wrapper and use the CVI/C library.

Totally unacceptable, considering we only bought the VDM for the .net API functionality and we pay annual maintenance fees for upgrades and support. On both deliverables NI has dismally failed 😞

Message 5 of 7
(5,982 Views)

I've started using NI Vision 2 year ago, i totally feel the same with you all.. In additin here is extra things that i observed

1. Merge overlay too slow - sometimes cause system totally hang, is this memory leak or what??

2. Rotate image too slow, said my total inspection time is 2s rotate image occupy 1s

3. no 64bit .Net support that we need to most now, and its only care about it's labview things.

if NI still continue by this way, i will convience my boss switch to others vendors..

sorry NI

Message 6 of 7
(4,925 Views)

forgot to mentioned, we already stop using NI vision build in Barcode decoder functions... it's slow and failed to decode all the times.. no auto setting, everytime have to eval to get the best setting.... what kind of decoder is this????

Message 7 of 7
(4,924 Views)